my 1st (kind of official) Wedding this WK...

Edit My Images
No
Hello there...1st off i've done some reading and searching and got some useful tips. Here's my situation:

- This will be my 1st wedding being the guy who gets 'the shots' the couple want.
- They are 2 of my friends and i've offered to take pictures of the day, they know im not a pro but have seen my work.
- I shot as a guest at my cousins wedding back in July to see what needs to be done and got a general idea (i know there's much more to it)
- I do know that there's a learning curve with weddings (probably a steep one) but im here know, its happening, im excited and so are the couple.

so advise:

I've just been (sunday) to meet the couple at the church to have a look around. Lovely location, fantastic high roof and ornate decor. I took some test shots (will post later) to see the settings and light, its not too dark.

The aisle is lovely and long, great for the couple walking down shot.

When they get married...I wont be able to get in front (to the side) of the couple so wont get the looking into each others eyes and ring on finger shot.. Is it worth getting shots of the side of them as they get married?

there's a balcony above (where the choir are) which would make for a great whole service shot. Is it worth it?

Im putting a working plan together today. I know what shots they would like.

For me its the whole movement to and from people/ shots that scares me. I dont want to miss a shot. i.e. the walking down the isle shot with dad and a shot from the back of the church of the couple at the front.

Should i be keeping my movements to a minimum (there are side isles for em to move down)?

There's a lovely building outside with red ivy to get some shots. The B+G have a good idea of what they want ( i think i do too).

Do people use flash to fill outside to get that 'pop'? I do prefer natural light.

I'll need to think of contingencies for weather! Do people do indoors shot if its rains or make a fun twist out of it? i.e. brolly, wellies etc.

The more i talk about it the more ideas are popping into my head and the more excited i get.

More to come...thanks in advance

Dan

IMG_7981.jpg

IMG_7994.jpg

IMG_7986.jpg

I am not really in a position to offer any advice apart from good luck and enjoy yourself.

Looks a really nice location..

I was in a simial boat to you back in June......

A girl my dad works with was let down by her tog a couple of months before her wedding and dad kindly volunteered my services :LOL:

B&G gave me a list of the shots they wanted but it wasn't a huge list, they don't really like posed photos and preferred reportage type shots.

Went to the rehearsal at the church to get an idea of the surroundings, asked the vicar where hed prefer I set myself up during the ceromony (Full roman catholic mass..... YAWN!!!)

He said I could stand pretty much where I wanted but would rather I kept to one place and that if I could keep the use of flash to a minimum (with the exception being the "important" bits).

I got shots at the Bride's house, arriving at the church, ceromony etc etc......

We had rain which didn't help matters and I think the "of mice and men" mentallity comes into it. No matter what plans you have in place be prepared for them to change without notice. My view was plan for nothing but be prepared for everything and think on your feet.

It was a very stressful day with very little organisation at any stage. Can't say I enjoyed myself too much but the B&G were happy with the photos I gave them :)

cheers Russ....im hoping with the B+G being friends it may make it more relaxed. Im currently going through the 'what if's' in my head!

would you do it again?

Oooohhhh good question!!!

One of my biggest concerns was my equipment, firstly it's not pro-standard and I had no back up, well and old Konica Minolta bridge as a complete last resort although I was very up front with the B&G about this and they completely understood. From their situation it was a case of making do with me and my limitations or not having a tog..... rock... hard place :LOL:

My moto is never say never, I certainly wouldn't advertise as a wedding tog, if I was approached by friends/family then I'd definitely consider it but outline the limitations with my kit up front.

I've only done a few weddings as a second but as you've not had many comments I'll have a go!

When they get married...I wont be able to get in front (to the side) of the couple so wont get the looking into each others eyes and ring on finger shot.. Is it worth getting shots of the side of them as they get married?

If you can get the brides face in then yes - but make sure you get the kiss with both of them in it

there's a balcony above (where the choir are) which would make for a great whole service shot. Is it worth it?

I'd suggest that if you've done some from the back during the singing and aren't feeling pressured then get up there (or try and get a second tog to do it). It does make a lovely addition to the album

For me its the whole movement to and from people/ shots that scares me. I dont want to miss a shot. i.e. the walking down the isle shot with dad and a shot from the back of the church of the couple at the front.

Focus on getting the 'easy' shots - them at the front should be OK as they are there awhile! A great one of Dad and bride outside the church means less pressure to get the aisle shot. Stop the B&G half way down the aisle (tell them beforehand) to get a photo.

Should i be keeping my movements to a minimum (there are side isles for em to move down)?

Have a general plan in your head of an order to do the shots in (from the back, then the balcony, then one side, then back to the back or something - but skip stuff to make sure you're in place for the vows)

Do people use flash to fill outside to get that 'pop'? I do prefer natural light.

If you prefer natural light then go for it!

I'll need to think of contingencies for weather! Do people do indoors shot if its rains or make a fun twist out of it? i.e. brolly, wellies etc.

That's a decision for the B&G.

The more i talk about it the more ideas are popping into my head and the more excited i get.

Have fun with it! The only other thing I'd suggest is getting a second photographer to do the balcony shot, and go down the other side of the church. It would take the pressure off a bit

Ruth’s advice above is very valid and as a second shooter who has watched a few pro’s do their thing, she is more than qualified to comment. I do also think that she might agree with me that, apart from some generalities, we all approach things somewhat differently.

However, I’ll touch on a few things that should help your day, plus hopefully give you a bit more confidence.

First thing I would do in your situation is have a chat with the vicar. Try and meet him/her in person before the day and you should find them very accommodating, particularly if you are empathetic with their duties and requirements. Don’t forget to tell them (and remind yourself) that you are the official photographer, not just a guest. I haven’t shot a wedding yet where I haven’t been allowed to shoot from behind the minister. So, make contact, get acquainted, get the camera position you want and away you go.

Three other bits of advice are:

Make friends with the bestman – He can really help take some pressure off you by finding people, organising groups and reminding you of the time restraints etc.

Don’t try and be too ambitious with the number of setups – Getting a few great shots is far better than loads of duff stuff.

Unless you are truly 100% familiar with every part of your kit, then have the instruction books secretly tucked away in your bag or car! So now if the camera starts doing weird stuff, you can discreetly nip off to the car or the loo, get yourself sorted and return smiling.

There is loads wedding photography advice on the net, but I think the following link is well worth a look, in addition to addressing some of your queries ...

http://digital-photography-school.c...1-tips-for-for-amateur-wedding-photographers/

Please post again if you have any other specific questions or concerns.
Happy shooting and let’s see some pictures!

Sam-D

Last edited:
OK...here goes:

- This is the 1st time i've had the pressure of being 'the guy who gets the important shots' at a wedding.
- A few months ago my friends asked me if i would do the pics for their big day. I said as long as i can use them for my portfolio i love to!
- My only exposure to wedding togging is my cousins wedding in july as a guest, on here and chatting with a friend/ pro tog.
- visited the church a few weeks ago and did some test shots, picked some locations.
- chatted with the couple about shots before

The Big day

- I arrived at the church @ 12:30 and had a chat with the priest about set up...shots etc
- the groom arrived at 13:00, i proceed to get some shots of him and the groom party/ family outside and then inside. Also a chance to shoot the **** with my mate who was about the take the plunge and my best mate who is the grooms best man.
- Light inside the church was low...then lights where switched on with improved the lighting lots (still 'low' light)
- Took some test shots...got some more shots of groom party (directing them to go here, walk there etc.)
- Around 13:40 i headed outside to wait for the bride....who was fasionably late.
- few shots out of car then she head straight in...i had to sneak in before her and down the side.
- got shots of her and dad coming down the aisle then over the corner for the ceremony
- As the ceremnoy proceeded i got some shots and was lucky the B+G sat facing me. Changing lenses had to be quick. I played around with around 3. Up till now no flash - natural light.
* I did find myself becoming very concious of my shutter noise which seemed very loud :(
- I tried to shoot when people moved/ stood up or singing
- i moved onto the shot of them signing the register light with flash, from a central point. (was invited out by priest)
- Then onto the big kiss and rings.....now unfortunately i wasnt quick enough to get back along the church to a central point to capture the kiss :(:bang:
I hope they will forgive me.........(faux paux #1)
- I did manage to 'paparatzzi' style shot them coming up the aisle
- to the back of the church where they did a line....
- outside the weather had clouded over (not problem) with spots of rain.
- I got outside and as people came out i managed to get some group shot done....i found it difficult to get amoungst family with PAS's....managed to get what they wanted.
- I was reluctant to direct - a). because i wasnt a pro and b). i'd asked my friends to direct me as to what they wanted. lack of experience i suppose (faux paux #2)
- over to shoot family shots....these werent asked for but we had time. People seemed to direct themselves somewhat...although i did take charge and tried to be engaging with grans etc. :D
- people left...i waited with the B+G and shot them in car and leaving in car.

The Next Phase

- Over to the reception, around 10mins away. I drove and had to park in a city car park...i never throught i'd be at the venue before the B+G.
- a lot of mulling about before we could go up to the room...chance to go upstairs and get some room shots...tables etc.
- back down to party and some candid shots.
- i started to relax now...found my guest seat and put bag down :)
- shot some of the receiving line..
- The speeches where 1st (my best mate was BM)...positioned myself to get some shots of speeches...room was resonably well light.
- finished speeches...got me some grub and a cheeky bottle of beer! :beer:
- Took some more shots after dinner of people chatting...B+G together etc.

The last Phase

- Once the room had been cleared it was 1st dance time...flash at the ready
- reeled of several shots with disco ball behind....had time time to try a few slow synch shots (and im ***** with flash!)
- after the 1st dance it was time to get some drunken dance shots...aunties with little kids dancing...groom and ushers roboting...etc....and to get a few more beers!!!!
- managed to head outside for a celebratory cigar and whiskey with mates (and camera!)
- got some shots of B+G outside, wedding ring shots....
- the venue was a gallery and there was an installation of Yoko+Johns bed....ideal prop for groom and ushers....a few shots of them jumping in! :D
- back up stairs and camera away..............10:45pm

Lessons learnt and tips.......

+ Well the 1st question i asked myself is 'did you enjoy it'....and do you know what I DID!!! I loved watching people enjoy themselves and capturing special moments
+ It was tiring (beer did help :D
+ You cant be in 2 places at once...you can only shoot what you can sensiblt get to
+ Equipment does help but ultimately you have to know and understand what works in a shot
+ I have a good working knowledge of my gear (better than i thought)
+ It doesnt have to all be a rushed affair...my friend said to take your time and he's right...take it again if its wrong...hold people for a second whilst you change settings/ lenses
+ I ended up constantly going back to my 50mm 1.8 throughout the day mostly for the 1.8
+ Memory card management is very important...when i got low on shots i change incase i ran out mid firing.
+ 2 Cameras would have helped but 1 wasnt a hinderance
+ Planning is THE most important processes in getting a wedding shoot right!
+ Its important to analyse afterwards what happened and what you would change (maybe on a forum???!!) :D
+ with experience i think i may be quite good at this wedding malarky ;)

Gear

- Canon 7D
- 50mm 1.8
- 15-85mm 3.5-5.6
- 100mm 2.8
- 70-200mm 4L

- 4 x 8gb CF card, 1 x 4gb CF card
- Jessops 360AFDC flash (lots of batteries)
- 3 x batteries

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............Thanks for reading....now the hard work...post processing............pics to follow (selection from 850 shots)

Dan

p.s my 6 month pregnant wife was great...didnt moan once about hanging roun...cheers love!!!

Last edited:
Cool, glad you enjoyed it that's the important thing!
I can remember when I started just how hard work it is :)
Looking forward to seeing the images!!

Well done on surviving your first one, they seem slower as you do more of them so I am sure this first one felt very fast!

First things first, shooting with one body is irresponsible, sorry but there's no other word for it, cameras can and do go wrong and you should have at least two bodies if your shooting a wedding even if its a freebie for a friend. If your the main photographer that the couple are relying on for pics you would have felt very stupid stood there not able to take any pics if your camera had gone wrong. If you shoot another then beg or borrow a spare body from somewhere.

Regards missing the kiss - Don't be afraid to set this up again afterwards, just do the recessional and then when everyone is out of the church take the B&G back in for a few shots and include in that a pic of them at the same position having a kiss, shoot it from an angle that doesn't include guests or is tight enough so its not obvious there's no one else there. Even when you have done quite a few its possible to miss the kiss if your not careful because it can come at slightly different times during the service depending on the officiant doing the ceremony.

Share some pics for C&C and well done again for surviving your first.

Thanks for all the great advise....i've finished the DVD for the couple....who said they love what i've captured!! so im chuffed with that......

there is still stuff i wasn't personally pleased with.....WB on alot of pics is terrible (maybe my monitor)....i missed some shots i wanted....my flash work wasnt the best (in fact i was a bit afraid of it)......so role on the next event!!!!!

You can see a selection here:

www.danmonaghan.co.uk

Not sure which is your latest wedding gallery as you have two so I looked through both and came to the same conclusions.

You've captured some nice enough candid moments, many look soft but that may be because of web resolution or compression from your gallery.

Biggest issues I see

You haven't included photos from key parts of the day, no cake cutting, speeches, first dance, preparation etc.is there a reason for this ?

You seem to have cropped a lot in post processing to different ratios, if this is how you have supplied the client their files they are going to have prints with strange crops or blank white spaces on them, its generally best to stick to crops of the same ratio as they come out of the camera unless you have specifically created some pano or square shots etc.

I've just thrown a few shots on there for now. The Lou & Chris is the latest....i'll be adding a lot more from the whole day...(i didnt go to ant pre-wedding stuff)
Yep soft due to web compression. (although some images weren't as sharp out of camera as i would have liked???)

I've done some cropping but not a huge amount. So is it generally best to stick to standard frame sizes for cropping? (actually that makes alot of sense now you've said it)

thanks for looking and feedback!

fair play on doing your first wedding dude, i've just had a look through your pics and really like them. i much prefer candid style shots as opposed to staged shots, i know staged shots have a place and a lot of people like them but if i was booking a tog for my own wedding i'd book one with a more relaxed candid approach. it captures far more of the personality of the subjects, number 10 in your gallery is a perfect example of this for me; the bride is beeming and the groom looks petrified lol they can look back on that in years to come and laugh about it, you just don't get that with a carefully posed and stage managed shot.

i'm hoping to one day make the leap into wedding photography (but it's a long way off for me yet) so i love getting the view of people like yourself who have already started doing it. i hope you get many more, and i'm sure the b&g will be chuffed with the pics ;)

well done on your first gig mate. Candid is great, but at the end of the day if the B&G want contemporary group shots, etc then you have to deliver. My last wedding was a mixture of both. A lot of togs prefer candids because they don't have to be bossy and can just mingle and shoot away... it is a lot, lot harder to arrange groups, getting everyone sorted, etc... good luck with the next one anyway.

Back