My 1st Macro, I'm not impressed.

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm new to 1:1 macro photography, didn't realise it was so much work. I didn't even get to try any little critters (not that I could find any), only practiced on something stationary and not particularly happy with the results.

Full frame image at a magnification of 1:1 resized for web (ISO 100, 1/60s, f/8, natural light):
Macro-IMG_4881.jpg

100% crop of above:
Macro-IMG_4881_1to1.jpg

Any hints, tips, C&C welcome.

Look pretty good to me, what don't you like about it:thinking:

Thanks Rhod, I was expecting 1:1 to be a bit larger than it is for some reason. I am fairly happy with this particular photo, just not expecting the fiddle factor to have been so great (light required, wind blowing subject, having to use a tripod even in bright sunlight etc. etc.).

I know some of the photos on here are taken with the MP-E65mm and at 5x. That must take quite a lot of skill!

Hi SLR,

These are fine for first Macros. If you want MORE magnification then yes the MPE-65 is the crowning glory. However, you can get extra magnification by using Extension tubes with your macro lens or even getting a reverse adapter and using something like a 50mm lens reversed.

However, if you think it's fiddly at 1:1, it doesn't get any easier at higher mag. ;)

Nice shots - I think you've done well if this is your first time - the lighting seems great which is the most important thing with macro - go get some inscects, this can give you a real buzz when you get the shot, but can get very addictive (expensive) beware...

Back