My B&W Film Journey - what next?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I've done a couple of B&W films now and for consistency have stuck with the same film (FP4+ ISO125) which has been OK for some Landscape and some studio work. I feel my home developing attempts have been pretty consistent.

So what do you recommend next? Stick with this film for a while to hone my consistency or have a go at something else?

I think I would really like to shoot some film at my local rugby games. I often go there with my digital setup. Sometimes I can be struggling to get a good enough shutter speed at ISO1600.

So I was thinking maybe going for HP5+ ISO400 and pushing to 800 or 1600 depending on the light of the day? Develop with Microphen?

Maybe at the other end look at using some finer films - for landscape. ISO no object happy to use a tripod etc? Any suggestions.

Any thoughts, advice gratefully received.

Thanks for all the patience and advice so far...

Mark F

PS not ready to jump into the colour dev world yet!!!

PPS when I buy my film is 7dayshop the best (cheapest) place?

Great selection of films available from silverprint.

If you're going to use slower films for landscape I'd have a look at fuji acros 100 and maybe downrate it to 50, as it's good up to about 2 minutes without any need for reciprocity failure calculations and then needs just 1/2 a stop extra up to about 20 minutes I believe. I'm trying to get some sheets for me at the mo but they're rarer than a rare thing unless you want quickloads.

Faster films? Delta 3200 is pretty damn good as is Fuji's neopan 1600.

Really slow films are all well and good but you will need to keep an eye on reciprocity failure and some of them don;t behave very well!

Cheers Ghandi. My sister lives in London and is coming down for Xmas. I was going to send her to Silverprint to pick some chemicals up for me - maybe I'll get a few different rolls of film to try as well!!!

Back