My Camera feels sticky

Edit My Images
No
Hi all , I recently Brought a 2nd Hand Panasonic FZ1000 , the grip feels a little sticky , think I remember it`s some kind of chemical reaction in the plastic . Is there a solution to it ? If not how long will it last , assuming it will degenerate ?

You could try wiping it over with isopropyl alcohol. That might do the trick. But I agree, there are few things more disgusting than handling a sticky camera.

Hi all , I recently Brought a 2nd Hand Panasonic FZ1000 , the grip feels a little sticky , think I remember it`s some kind of chemical reaction in the plastic . Is there a solution to it ? If not how long will it last , assuming it will degenerate ?
The way some plastics, used to cover/coat electronic devices, degrade in such a manner is annoying in the extreme. We have a radio that has gone the same way........and nothing has been able to properly overcome the issue.

Were I in your shoes I would get a refund post haste.

NB at one time I read that Deet insect protection spray was a big cause of camera grips getting affected.

Some say alcohol others, say baking soda. Id buy a protective rubber case or vinyl wrap it.

Some possible fixes here...

Hand sanitisers can cause damage to rubbers, but if they flash/dry quick enough it's not too much of an issue, but most contain Aloe Vera or another moistiser and this could lead to a sticky build up on the grip, try soapy warm water on a cloth first, then quick wipe over with IPA.

Sun damage can cause issues too.

I've had this happen with a small radio receiver, a DAT recorder and a Minolta Dynax 7. In all cases I was able to remove the coating with cotton buds and methylated spirit. It is a laborious process taking hours to complete but very satisfying to be able to use the item again.

Thanks for all the help and advice , MPB have agreed to send me a replacement , hopefully it wont have the same issue .

Back