Beginner My canon 30D has seen better days.

Name
paul
Edit My Images
No
MY 30D has served me well but I think I have now outgrown it and need to gain a few extra pixels.
I don’t shoot sports so don’t really need a machine gun with regards to frames per second. So I was thinking of picking up a good second hand 5D mk ii or a 1DS mk iii – (I want a full frame camera)
I don’t shoot video so was generally looking at the build quality (not that I am looking to throw the body down the stairs) - Any thoughts ?

The 1Ds wins all day on build quality but it is a bit of a beast especially if you don't use a vertical grip on your 30d!

Personally I'd go for the 5d mkii I've used the video function about 4 times in 3 years!

Alex
Thanks for your thoughts .
I do tend to use a grip when photographing people which I predominantly do but not when doing landscapes.
I would also probably get a grip for the 5d mkii –------- so I may have answered my own question.
I am swayed to the 1DS like you say it is a beast but it does feel good in the hand.

It's also a different price league at around £4-500 more expensive. I'd personally go for the 6D for less money than the 1DS but much better imaging.

buy a sigma dp, beats any current canon product, and is 300quid
you just might end up with 3 of them...

I was thinking about the 6D but a fellow photographer has put me off of it as he was not to impressed with the focusing.
Then again I thought it a bit strange he chose to buy a 6D when his portfolio is full of action shots? I don’t feel the 6D has the frame rate or enough focusing points for his type of photography.
Focusing points on the 6D doesn’t bother me as if I can’t focus on a stationary model then I need to give up. Also there were plenty of focusing points on the 30D for me.
So yes I think the 6D should be back on the table.

@pingu666 - I will stick with Canon - ive invested in canon glass its a same to waste it :)

dp is a compact with lens attached
dp2 and dp3 have extremely good lenses

6D does have a basic AF system, but it's a fair improvement over the 5D.

The 6D lacks a complex AF system capable of tracking things like small birds in flight. However, it's basic AF is extremely accurate, even within very low light. The 6D's AF is an improvement over the 5D2, as is it's handling, feature list and IQ.

I use a 6D for 85% of my shooting and a 7D for sports. Perhaps consider a 7D classic if multipoint AF is a must have. You'll get a good used one for £400 and have some cash leftover for a nice lens.

Personally, I'd get a 6D if sports and wildlife are not your thing.

Back