2772558498_98188c6232.jpg

2772561278_5ab914748f.jpg

2771747259_f0b05f4e52.jpg

more here www.flickr.com/photo/fibi3b

Sharp set.

For me I would look at the following adjustments:

1. clone/crop out the elbow on LH side

2. crop bottom to lose white triangle by bottom RH

3. Clone out the small dark area on top RH.

4. As 3 above, clone out oof hand on LH and recrop to include brides shoulder in RH of frame

5. recrop to include include all of brides arm and head on RH and to gets all of your dads head in at the top.

My concern is that these may be the full photographs and thus the crops are out of court if there is missing detail. I go for the clone in #1, with you on the crop in #2 as that is a crop, with you for a clone in #3, with you on the clone on #4 but I think this is the full image and I thiunk #5 is the full image as well.

Some very nice shots and captured moments-my little niggle is that perhaps the bride ought to have been in focus aswell as your dad for the register shot.

Some very nice shots and captured moments-my little niggle is that perhaps the bride ought to have been in focus aswell as your dad for the register shot.

You might take the comment a step further and suggest that the bride should be in focus and the father in the DoF slightly. It's the bride's day, so she should be the centre of attention.

Last edited:
I agree with all the above comments but I have to say I like the last picture out of the set pity your Dads head wasnt fully inshot Good try Im sure they will be happy with them
Stef :)

It was very hard to see the bride in the church, she had two large men on either side of her during the service and the vicar was dominating the scene other wise

i have got some piccies of her in shot during the registration, but i just liked that shot... think its really nice having her bending over signing it, and dad happily watching her.

i dont know what you mean by 'these are the full image' i'm sure a little cropping wouldnt hurt, i shoot at a full ten MP in RAW, so i dont think a wee bit of cropping is going to damage the quality much (or have i missed the point?)

Whats all this about removing peoples elbows?? surely they need elbows??? (and does it really matter that much?)

And again in the last picture, i like the fact his head is quite out of shot, and anyway, the moment has passed now and its not like i can change it

i really appreciate all the comments (although i dont think i really understand them) although i do not see why people are commenting on things that cannot be changed...

I agree with all the above comments but I have to say I like the last picture out of the set pity your Dads head wasnt fully inshot Good try Im sure they will be happy with them
Stef :)

this one i totally understand (thank you!) i quite liked leaving a bit of church in there?? do you think i should just crop it out? it was a beautiful venue i thought they would have wanted to see it?

will try it with them cropped

Oh the fourth picture, yeah that is the whole picture (thought that was quite obvious) but i like it, i like the angles and i like the expressions on their faces (i think they are going to love the shot)

and i like the bits of the church, and i like everyones elbows

thanks for you help guys, but i think i might just leave em as they are for know...

i dont know what you mean by 'these are the full image' i'm sure a little cropping wouldnt hurt, i shoot at a full ten MP in RAW, so i dont think a wee bit of cropping is going to damage the quality much (or have i missed the point?)

I thought erding was suggesting that all of these images were the crops from larger images and thus you could crop the originals to remove some of the niggles. I thought that some of the posted images were the entire image and there was no larger image to which you could apply a crop.

You are right that a crop from a 10mp RAW image shouldn't damage the quality of the image. Do you have the larger images that would allow you to apply the crops erding suggested?

i can crop down, but no i am not going to crop up, i used my nifty fifty most of the time in the church so got a fairly narrow image.

i could have a look at the raw files, likely hood is i have cropped them down a wee bit. but as i have said, i can understand the cropping down of 2 + 4 (although personally i like the church there) and will try that, but the others (clone stamping out peoples elbows and stuff) i just think thats alot to do to 60 prints, very unnatural and quite unneccessary.

and the composition is irrelevant, because i cant go back in time and i think i did the best with what i was given

Sometimes it can be changing the tiny things,such as a blurry elbow etc,which make a huge difference to the finished result. I think everyone on here is trying to help you do the best you can and get the best images possible...

yep i appreciate it, but if you give advice it doesnt mean it has to be taken

i dont think the first post was very specific,

and as you can see here

2774445186_fc28db2d9c.jpg

and

2773590031_1d973d76a1.jpg

i think they looked alot better with the bits of church in, gave them a vibe u know

and as for wobble elbows, i dont think an out of focus elbow is gonna detract too much from the scene, and as i have said, i am not competent enough with photoshop to know how you clone stamp in an elbow

i prefer the cropped versions but if you don't then that's fine they are your pictures after all :)

They are your pictures do what you want with them :)

yep i appreciate it, but if you give advice it doesnt mean it has to be taken

Feeb

Your opening post asked the forum for advice on the set of images that you presented with that post.

Various people, myself included, have posted various suggestions, in their own time, as to how those presented images could be improved - different eyes see different things. The images are yours and there is no obligation to follow any of suggestions made but at the same time there is no need to get abrasive when the requested advice is given.

Tom

hey Erding, i have no problem hearing peoples advice, i am more than happy with it. i dont appreciate being told basically, that my composition is off or that i 'should' have changed something at the time, because frankly, its irrelevant!!

i have cropped the images, i have had a look at them up against the rest of the pictures and i think i like the fact they have churchy bits in the back, it gives them some depth and also some scenery which was an important part of the day

also the church outside was covered with scaffolding, so the only shots of the church, really are going to be inside the church.

i have lots of other head shots too, surely you dont want them all to be head shots in the album??

sorry if i have sounded off, but someone telling me to re-draw someones elbow i just find mental! i have no idea what you mean and no one has explained it to me

thanks for the advice though, if i knew what half of it ment i would respond to it but i really dont! and your particular post Tom was quite unnerving and none explainitory.

i was more interested (tbh) in filters, wether the exposures were right and if anyone had any tips for making the photographs gleam when printed (i know photoshop does alsorts of stuff like that but i am not used to it yet) and the like.

it was interesting to crop the images down but i decided i prefered it the other way, i dont see how this is turning down advice or getting abrasive???

i prefer the cropped versions but if you don't then that's fine they are your pictures after all :)

They are your pictures do what you want with them :)

cheers, i do hope they are happy...

will think more about the cropped ones... maybe show them to so muggles and see what they say!

thanks Fi xx

I thought erding was suggesting that all of these images were the crops from larger images and thus you could crop the originals to remove some of the niggles. I thought that some of the posted images were the entire image and there was no larger image to which you could apply a crop.

You are right that a crop from a 10mp RAW image shouldn't damage the quality of the image. Do you have the larger images that would allow you to apply the crops erding suggested?

thank you for explaining that to me!

i dont appreciate being told basically, that my composition is off or that i 'should' have changed something at the time, because frankly, its irrelevant!!

Thats just silly, how can you improve if you don't discuss these things? Compisition is key to a good shot a lot of the time, as is attention to detail. I once posted what I thought was a good photo of my father in law, a portrait. He had a big white doorframe popping out of his head, and since having that pointed out to me, I try and look arond when taking portaits now, to find a clean background if available.

Every little bit of advice and crit should be welcomed with open arms, people take time to do you a favour, don't shoot them down :)

Gary.

Thats just silly, how can you improve if you don't discuss these things? Compisition is key to a good shot a lot of the time, as is attention to detail. I once posted what I thought was a good photo of my father in law, a portrait. He had a big white doorframe popping out of his head, and since having that pointed out to me, I try and look arond when taking portaits now, to find a clean background if available.

Every little bit of advice and crit should be welcomed with open arms, people take time to do you a favour, don't shoot them down :)

Gary.

very true, sorry for being a picky cow - i didnt realise it would be so hard!! it was near on impossible to get a shot of the bride at all during the service, her dad and my dad were either side of her so i tried to focus on her as much as i could and get a shot when she breathed into focus!!

cor this wedding photography stuff is HARD!! and you know that so many people are reliant on you to give them something really special... must be difficult when your being paid!

are my shots reasonable though? or do you think i have properly messed it up??

Last edited:
very true, sorry for being a picky cow - i didnt realise it would be so hard!! it was near on impossible to get a shot of the bride at all during the service, her dad and my dad were either side of her so i tried to focus on her as much as i could and get a shot when she breathed into focus!!

cor this wedding photography stuff is HARD!! and you know that so many people are reliant on you to give them something really special... must be difficult when your being paid!

are my shots reasonable though? or do you think i have properly messed it up??

They are more than reasonable. Sometimes people see crit as the entire image being torn to shreds, not the case though. Basically if you post a shot, which has a small issue, people will mention it so you, going forward, are more experienced. It does not mean they dont like the shot, its like a friendly reminder to keep an eye on something next time.

We all get it and give it, its what I think makes this place extra special, all the free help on hand.

And the cookies of course.

Gary.

The first photo i posted on here was pretty much shot down and rightly so since then with the help of this forum i have learnt loads and my pics are much better for it:)

It can be hard to take when you post photos you like and think are really good are not received well, but listen to the comments on here read other reads and see what people say about other photos. the thing i like most about this forum is the uncompromising pursuit to make everyone on here a fantastic photographer.

To expand more on your photos, To me 1 & 4 look like photos of people with dead space at the top. But if your are looking to include detail of the church, i am still not sure these are the pictures to do it with. In one the window is over exposed and a little distracting and number 4 basicly its wall above them which isnt overly interesting. Look at the other pictures you have, do any of them have church detail that is a little more interesting? if so i would crop these ones and use the other to show detail :) I hope that helps.

There are cookies?

I like the last shot alot, I can see what people are saying about elbows creeping into the shot. It is a little distracting but I think it is one of those things that come with the learning curve.

Keep your chin up, wedding Photography is challenging to say the least and I'm sure your dad will love the shots you have taken. :)

Yay for cookies!!!!!

i'm sorry for my emotional responses, i am a ****, and well aware

just to prove myself completely wrong i have edited the photos in the ways mentioned

and yes i do think they look better...

2774295385_d94e329efc.jpg

so thank you all (especially erding) an i will not be so hot headed next time...

Once you embrace the advice, its remarkable what you can achieve. A huge number of people here deserve a medal for time and time again helping people like us get to grips with a very difficult hobby, you could spent tens of thousands going to university to learn, I bet though, after 4 years of this place, you will give any uni tog a run for their money :D

This place is a diamond, and I hope to be a part of the furniture for many years to come!!!

Gary.

oh dear... i have just invested the next three years of my life in a uni course...

i think it will be good though, really looking forward to doing studio work, getting to work with people and having something groovy to do with my time

Hi Feeb

I had a go at this one hope you dont mind could have done with a bigger file though fixed the colour cast and rebuilt the brides arm

farm22.jpg

Original Photo By Freeb
2773590031_1d973d76a1.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
Wow dave!! you are better at this than me!

i am just going through all of them now, using the info i have gathered here i have found loads of little bits!!

will post some up when i am done

thanks guys xx been great

cheers Feeb

To fix the colour cast I made a new layer used the eyedropper tool to select a mid toned white from the shadow part of the brides dress from the creases just above her arm, orangey/ pink in colour, filled the new layer with that colour, changed the layer mode to colour then, then Image/ Invert,the layer should turn blue, then lowered the fill or opacity, down to around that 20%. for the arm I made a bezier line, and a then continued up around to the center of the arm then across to the top,closed the selection filled it with a skin tone and used spot healing brush to blend

Hope that helps (y)

Dave

Last edited:
so thank you all (especially erding) an i will not be so hot headed next time...

Hi Feeb

I'm really glad that you, and hopefully the newly weds, like the latest edits of your images - they are a big improvement over what was originally posted. Hopefully other posters will concur.

There is a wealth of experience and photo knowledge amongst forum members here and it makes sense to ask for advice - but members can only advise on the images presented or any other information provided - we have no knowledge that there was scafolding outside the church or that the vicar was dominating a particular scene.

Your initial post asked for advice- which several forum members gave, if you want specific advise like filters, exposure or printing it would have been helpful to the members to ask that specifically - as I said earlier different eyes see different things & different imperfections niggle different people. If you post a series of images which are head shots for all forum members know that is the style of shooting you like or the style that was requested, we have no means of knowing that there is another 60 images or the style they cover.

Any member will gladly explain there suggestions or advice if something is not quite clear, and as you have seen members have jumped in to actually work on your images when you explained that you had, at present, limited photo editing skills. Basically help people to help you. :help:

I would suggest that you keep a copy of the original unedited wedding images so that in the future you can go back to them and apply newly learnt photo editing skills to them.

Cheers

Tom

Last edited:
hi tom, i am currently back in RAW, editing my photos with your points in mind, they look a hell of a lot better, and i must say its great fun!!

i did a tutorial a while back which explained alot of the photoshop features to me, and now i have some great advice and that in mind to move forward.

i am very impressed with Daves bits though, i wish he would have asked for the big file but i guess it will be cheating if someone else does it!

i look forward to learning from you all xxx

thank you again xx

Feeb

Yes Dave has done an impressive job on that image.

imho of someone works on your image to illustrate what can be achieved with that image with an example of that work and an explanation of what was done and then you try to replicate the same results yourself that is certainly not cheating.

Good thing you shot in RAW - images are much more workable.

Hopefully you will post some of the newly edited images.

Tom

My Images are brilliant with Daves Help!! unfortunately i cant upload them til this evening but i will get on them then, will also pop up some of the bits i have done with Dave and Toms help!!

You guys are fabulous! thank you!

feeb you are going to be a star at uni if you stick around here!

I don't think there is much that you can do at uni that can't be added to by the great folks here. You have an instant wealth of experience (in other words we've all cocked it right up in the past) I love doing studio stuff becuase it gives me the control to do what i want and you'll love it!

Glad to see you getting sorted with these, the guys are a bit special :)

Back