My dirty off roader HDR.

raider2727

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
I am not sure i like HDR but like everything i stumble across i would like to have a go to see what it produces, so here goes

4431757049_969a900cd8_o.jpg

really do not like that, its too overdone and the colours are messed up loads - looks good on the sky though :)

yes, however HDR does not necessarily have to be over done like soo many examples of it.

Some of the best uses of HDR I have seen are in this Transport section related to aircraft. They have used HDR carefully and used it to get the best details out of the image :)

It is only my personal opinion that I dont like you're use of HDR, I'm sure there's many others who WILL like it

Might be worth trying Topaz labs Adjust or Detail plugins which bring out detail without looking too false.

It's just a bit overdone as others have said. That's not to say you can't make it work, go back to whatever software you used and have some play and tweaks with it.

Sorry to much HDR for me.

Have another go just for us and see what comes off it:)

Reminds me of the time I ate a bright yellow jelly bean and woke up naked in a field talking to a daffodil! :D
There is a good tutorial in the tutorials guide on Contrast Masking that may work well with this photo.

I think the expression on your avatars face sums this one up best :p

That's not very helpful and constructive is it?? Perhaps you would care to elaborate on the reasoning behind your comment and try and help the original poster.

Or is it a case of do as I say not do as i do ??

dude, I'm trying to stop smoking, this isn't the best time to pick a fight.

Surely the OP doesn't need for someone else to suggest trying less HDR? :cautious:

So once you'd already said that in your first post nobody else need comment about the picture? Just waffle on about something else totally irelevant ?

Fair enough at least I know now, it's just taken a while for me to settle in.

Last edited:
Picture quality aside ~ I'm not keen on it btw ~ I have a couple of complaints about the subject title.

1. That's hardly "dirty". Mine has more mud on it than that after it's been cleaned :D

2. The title says it's an "off roader" but all I can see is a Vitara :p

If you carry on like this you'll give us real off-roaders a bad name :wave:

Last edited:
Errrm, not good.

You can't start off with a poor image and expect HDR (or any effect for that matter) to turn it in to a good one and this image wasn't great to start with I'm afraid. I would expect to see something like this (pre-HDR) in the motoring classifieds not on a photography forum (sorry).

As for the HDR - WAY too much. Did you selectively masked the car or something? Whats with the weird bright halo around the car?

Errrm, not good.

You can't start off with a poor image and expect HDR (or any effect for that matter) to turn it in to a good one and this image wasn't great to start with I'm afraid. I would expect to see something like this (pre-HDR) in the motoring classifieds not on a photography forum (sorry).

As for the HDR - WAY too much. Did you selectively masked the car or something? Whats with the weird bright halo around the car?

Photomatix produces that halo if you go to heavy on some of the settings.

Raider, if you like it, that's all that matters and fair play to yourself, you did say in your original post that you weren't sure.

You are at a stage with HDR that I was when I first started using it, I thought everything had to have that fantasy HDR look, I thought that was the whole point. Now though, I've realised, after some massively negative critique from the HDR Police, that HDR can be used in a natural way too. So, my advice to you is to take any negative critique you may receive and turn it on it's head and tone things down a little and produce natural looking results that nobody will even know are HDR, I've done it and the last laugh is mine;). Start off your processing of images with tame settings and build them up until they are on the verge of looking unnatural, then tone them back a touch. Even if after your HDR processing, the image still doesn't look quite right, you can still use other PP programs to finish it off.

HDR works best for high contrast subjects/situations, something I learned from a book on the subject, HDR Photography by Pete Carr and Robert Correll, I got it for Christmas, have read it cover to cover 3 or 4 times now and my thinking on HDR has changed and my HDR has improved. I think Pete is actually a member here.

Don't let any harsh critique you might get about HDR put you off, it is a very useful tool in it's place and there's nothing stopping you going mad with it now and again either, which I still like to do.

:)

Give us the orig. JPEG and I'll see what I can do with it.

the composition isn't too bad, it's just overcooked to the point of setting off the smoke alarm.

It's what I might expect to see just prior to the rising mushroom cloud ;)
I kinda like the ott pp on this one

Genius is never appreciated in its own lifetime!

I think there is some good stuff happening in that shot. The paint is almost liquid in appearance - quite different to the real colour - and the sky is quite dynamic also, so food for photographic thought.

For a first go, I think you are heading in an interesting direction. The pic has made me more tempted to have a go eventually. Thanks for sharing it.

I dont like the original composition of the image i'm afraid, and I think it has the fantasy hdr look to it...

In my opinion an off roader images give the idea that the vehicle can go off road or has been... good luck with future images.

Back