My Favourite Lens...

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
is fast becoming the Canon 50mm 1.4, and I love using it wide open, as here.:)

Crystals.jpg

A lovely shot CT - a lampshade I presume? I really must look at getting one of those 50mm lenses.

regards

Nice.

Defo thinking of getting the 1.8 Mk II (not as rich as some peeps here!), know a chap who has one so will be borrowing it this weekend hopefully! :)

Yes it's a lampshade. I'm off to darkest Herefordshire in a bit and looking at the weather prospects, I might just take the camera and this lens and try some interior pub shots - if I get chance.

CT said:
I might just take the camera and this lens and try some interior pub shots - if I get chance.

Ah, kill two birds with one stone, good thinking, who says men can't multi task :D

I think I'm the odd one out here, every where come to think of it . I'm not a fan of the 50mm, neither long enough, nor short enough for what I like and I don't need it's low light capability. Reminds me. must get the Mk1 I have lying about on to fleabay :D

No need mate, chuck it my way and I'll buy you a pint. Can't say fairer than that! ;)

My 50mm 1.8 is currently gathering dust but I'm loathed to get rid of it "just in case".

Someone is bragging with the 1.4 version of the nifty fifty ;)

It's a great example of what it is capable of though.

I picked it up on fleabay actually Steve. I can understand what Doddy is saying - the field of view of the lens is compromised to what it would be on a 1:1 camera and it's definitely a bit tight for many indoor scenarios in comparison. It's a zonking great lump of glass though, and I can get away with hand holding this lens in really low light situations.

For the room this lens takes up, I wouldn't be too hasty. Low light photography can be one of the most rewarding types of shots to take. :)

CT said:
I can understand what Doddy is saying - the field of view of the lens is compromised to what it would be on a 1:1 camera and it's definitely a bit tight for many indoor scenarios in comparison.

Exactly. I'm certainly not knocking the 50mm, very sharp, light, cheap, great for low light. It's just not one that I find particularly useful.

And I meant to say CT, that's a nice shot of a normally uninteresting subject, bringing out the detail and pattern works really well :)

Back