My first attempt at night photography

Name
Sandeep
Edit My Images
No
I've not really tried taking photos at night and I thought with the cold clear evenings lets go and try. Thoughts/suggestions for improvements?

What I have learnt is that I need a more solid tripod head, the current one has a slight play in it and caused quite a bit of focus issues and a remote for controlling the shutter :)

IMG_4143.jpg

IMG_4168.jpg

IMG_4098.jpg

IMG_4093.jpg

IMG_4232.jpg

IMG_4223.jpg

The fourth image is my favourite. The composition is great with all the lights at the bottom of the wheel. The symmetry works well for me. Might be my eyes, but it looks like it could do with a tiny bit straightening, clockwise. :)

Lovely shots! Something I'd like to try!

What settings did you use?

Thanks!

For these I used the TV setting with 30s exposures and the ISO set to 100. I'll be trying this in manual mode next time to see if there are any other tweaks that can be used to improve the sharpness :)

you don't necessarily need a remote for the shutter, just put it on a 5 second timer.

Some good photos here, but I think these would look far better in black & white.

I think number two is my favourite, but they're all good. I'll have to learn how to do the selective black and white conversion.

I think number two is my favourite, but they're all good. I'll have to learn how to do the selective black and white conversion.

I'll be honest, I cheated with these. I used the Clarity and Vibrance filters in LR to get the effect. I know you can use dodge etc, but the above seems to work for a quick edit

Back