My first attempt at planes - advice please

Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

I'm new to SLR photography, and just got my Sony A200 in January, so I have a LOT to learn.

I'm going to Anglesey in a couple of weeks, near to RAF Valley and was looking for some advice.

I have two suitable lenses, a Minolta 75-300 F4.5-5.6 and a Beercan 70-210 F4.

Would the extra reach of the 75-300 be of more use than the aperture of the 70-210? especially as the 75-300 needs to be stopped down to be sharp-ish.

Any general advice on photographing jets, e.g. shutter speed, focussing tricks etc?

Any advice on RAF Valley for those who are familliar with it?

Many thanks

Blonkster

Be warned about Valley at the Mo very high security due to HrH being trained there to ber a chopper pilot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dave

If you heading to the Mach Loop then the 70-300mm will be the better option for say Cad West or East, Corris Corner and the Top Shelf at the Bwlch, if the F15 go through the Bwlch the 70-210 will get you the shots (its amazing how quickly they'll swamp the lens if they're close).

Just bare in mind the conditions, keep the shutter speeds up near the 1/1000 sec range if you can, adjust the ISO and exposure compensation to achieve this.

Pick up the subject early, using AI Servo, single focus point, half button press to focus, track the aircraft until you compose the image you want, somewhere between 2/3rds and full frame, then take a 1 to 2 or 3 shot burst, recompose and repeat. This way you'll achieve better results than the machine gun approach, which might give you 1 sharp image in 4 or 5 because you camera won't be quick enough to refocus the image.

If you at the airbase rather than in the hills, there are a few places to photograph depends with heightened security whether you'll be asked to move on. Another place to try is up on the A5 pass near Tyfan (Devils Kitchen end).

Peter

Thanks Peter,

That's great advice. I won't be doing the mach loop, but will hang around Valley if I'm allowed.

Blonkster

Be warned about Valley at the Mo very high security due to HrH being trained there to ber a chopper pilot!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dave

I was under the impression the royal was based at Shawbury, predominantly fast Jet training at Valley.

I was under the impression the royal was based at Shawbury, predominantly fast Jet training at Valley.

Yup your right, both royals are at raf shawbury, i not seen them but i know of somebody who knows somebody who cousins friends brothers girlfriends nephew saw harry buying a pizza in the co-op... i personally cant guarantee this information!!:bonk:

Back