My First Attempt at Rugby

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I went down to my local club today, where I used to play. They have a traditional game on boxing day, where the over 30's play the under 30's!

I think there might have been a few hangovers on the pitch today! This is my first go. I don't think there are any prizewinners and there is definite room for improvement. I'm kind of happy with the outcome of my first attempt though.

IMG_0263_Medium_.JPG

IMG_0266_Medium_.JPG

IMG_0270_Medium_.JPG

IMG_0273_Medium_.JPG

IMG_0279_Medium_.JPG

C&C welcome!

Thanks in advance

Mark F

Hi, I would crop tighter in and it looks like your shutter was a bit low. Keep at it, you'll get there..

Iain

Hi, I would crop tighter in

Ok. Good advice. How about these?

146.JPG

227.JPG

and it looks like your shutter was a bit low.

Do you mean too slow? I started off in Aperture Priority mode and used the lowest F-Stop I could. I think I played with ISO 400 / 800 and then also tried a similar method with the Shutter Speed Priority.

One thing is the 2nd shot above definitely looks sharper before I resized it. I used the Microsoft Image Resizing tool. Could this be the problem?

Keep at it, you'll get there..

Thanks for looking!

I am by no means an expert (yet :LOL: ) but with all the advice from this lot on here, I've improved my rugby photos.

There's a couple of threads around if you search for rugby in threads started by Kelack that have got some really, really useful advice.

There's some good action shots there, if you post your exif data, we can see what shutter speeds and that, you were using and I'll try and help.

Out of interest, where was your game. We have a traditional Boxing Day match as well, ours is against our local rivals and most of our team play out of position. Quite a good laugh

Hi, I don't know about Microsoft Image Resizing tool, never used it. I would try get a hold of Photoshop Elements if you are just starting out.

As for shutters being too low, the images don't look sharp, so its either your shutter or could be other ie your not holding the body steady enough. As Kelack says, post your EXIF and we can help you from there.

As to , aperture or shutter mode, I am a great believer in aperture mode for sports shooting, I very rarely switch to shutter.

I am by no means an expert (yet :LOL: ) but with all the advice from this lot on here, I've improved my rugby photos.

Yeh I saw your most recent thread and found the original so I've seen your improvement and learning curve :clap:

There's some good action shots there, if you post your exif data, we can see what shutter speeds and that, you were using and I'll try and help.

As for shutters being too low, the images don't look sharp, so its either your shutter or could be other ie your not holding the body steady enough. As Kelack says, post your EXIF and we can help you from there.

Ok. Advice really appreciated.

I'm using my Canon 400D with a Tamron 70-300mm F4/5.6 DI LD Macro Lens. It could be a lot to do with me not being steady (maybe I should have tried with my Tripod) but the exif for the two most recent images is as follows:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/gallery/data/500/146.JPG
Exif IFD0

* Camera Make = Canon
* Camera Model = Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL
* Picture Orientation = undefined (0)
* Last Modified Date/Time = 2007:12:26 12:48:51

Exif Sub IFD

* Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/320 second = 0.00313 second
* Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 40/10 = F4.00
* ISO Speed Ratings = 800
* Original Date/Time = 2007:12:26 12:48:51
* Shutter Speed Value (APEX) = 545386/65536
Shutter Speed (Exposure Time) = 1/320.00 second
* Aperture Value (APEX) = 262144/65536
Aperture = F4.00
* Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
* Focal Length = 114/1 mm = 114.00 mm
* Image Width = 800 pixels
* Image Height = 530 pixels

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/gallery/data/500/227.JPG
Exif IFD0

* Camera Make = Canon
* Camera Model = Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL
* Picture Orientation = undefined (0)
* Last Modified Date/Time = 2007:12:26 12:51:46

Exif Sub IFD

* Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/500 second = 0.00200 second
* Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 45/10 = F4.50
* ISO Speed Ratings = 800
* Original Date/Time = 2007:12:26 12:51:46
* Shutter Speed Value (APEX) = 587582/65536
Shutter Speed (Exposure Time) = 1/500.00 second
* Aperture Value (APEX) = 284416/65536
Aperture = F4.50
* Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
* Focal Length = 141/1 mm = 141.00 mm
* Image Width = 782 pixels
* Image Height = 800 pixels

I've put the originals (no resizing) on Flickr. They look sharper to me but please say if you don't think so...

Thanks again

Mark F

PS They were taken at Weymouth RFC

Edit: PPS The EXIF doesn't show it but I used Aperture Priority mode and the Canon AI Servo AF Mode

Hi, yeah 1/320 is pretty low and 1/500 is borderline to totally freeze. Your lens being an f4 dose limit you if the light is low. I am no expert on the cannon but next time push the iso up and over 800 and try it. Also if you are finding it hard keeping the body steady try a monopod, don't use the tripod, to restricting.

I don't know your shooting style but try tracking subjects with the AF ie line up players and don't snap at your shots, you'l find you have more keepers. Being an x player you should know what to look for, ie base of the scrum either line up the scrum half or the number 8, esp if its a scrum 5 then most probably the no 8 will pick up and drive, best get into the goal area for that so you get him head on. Use your experience from the game and export it into your shooting, knowing your sport increases your odds greatly for a great image.

Iain

Hi Iain,

Thanks for the great advice. I thought 1/320 I could get away with, now I know it isn't quick enough. Probably the main problem coupled with not a lot of experience shooting with the telezoom and nothing to rest on. I should have upped the ISO more to get an even shorter shutter. Now I know for next time...

Shame it was a beautiful morning with a good light for taking some shots. Due to people turning up late with a hangover the kick off was late and by that time the sky was pretty dark. Sod's law. :shrug:

As for my experience, I was trying to read the game and get a feeling where the ball was going, but just didn't follow quick enough. Maybe that's why I was usually playing 2nd row! :LOL:

Thanks again. Seeing Kelack's improvement inspired me to give it a go in the first place. Will post again when I have to improvement to show.

Mark F

Yeh I saw your most recent thread and found the original so I've seen your improvement and learning curve :clap:

PS They were taken at Weymouth RFC

Aww, I'm blushing :)

Weymouth - lovely part of the world there, mmmmm, Portland Crab sandwiches on Weymouth Harbour, yummy :D

Shame it was a beautiful morning with a good light for taking some shots. Due to people turning up late with a hangover the kick off was late and by that time the sky was pretty dark. Sod's law. :shrug:

As for my experience, I was trying to read the game and get a feeling where the ball was going, but just didn't follow quick enough. Maybe that's why I was usually playing 2nd row! :LOL:

Thanks again. Seeing Kelack's improvement inspired me to give it a go in the first place. Will post again when I have to improvement to show.

Mark F

As Iain said, read the game, maybe go along to a training session so that you can learn the line out calls so you know who's receiving in the line or what calls the 3/4 makes so you know which play they will do. Anyway, that's my excuse for going to the club Tuesdays and Thursdays :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Again blushing :D

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I will definitely report back when I have some improved shots.

A good workmen never blames his tools but I am beginning to realise the limitations of my f4-f5.6 in overcast winter conditions. Today I was trying to shoot a bird in our garden on a tripod at max zoom and ISO 1600 and couldn't get more than 1/200 shutter without dropping the Exposure Compensation.

Still this is the learning curve. I've had my DSLR (400D) a month now and am really beginning to understand how it works and the settings.

And as for going training... No chance. They'd talk me back into playing after a 3 year retirement :)

Back