My first Aurora

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Well after trying a few weeks ago on a night that was forecast to be good and not seeing a flicker I headed out with a little trepidation tonight.
Though it wasn't clear I had seen a few bright spots on the way out to the country and it seemed like there was thin cloud but hints of movement.
I was quite surprised when I saw the first capture on the screen and when I took this one it was screaming at me on the camera screen.
Anyone seeing a Warholesque Marilyn Monroe? or have I lost it?
_MG_6483 by andrew simpson, on Flickr
_MG_6483 by andrew simpson, on Flickr
And to try another at 1024,
_MG_6501.jpg by andrew simpson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Is the link showing up for anyone? I'm not seeing the pic on my post and no idea what is any different from previous posts.
Seems to work at 800, must be a glitch in Large.

Last edited:
I'm seeing the photo on my phone OK. But it's pretty much a thumbnail for me at the moment...

I can see them all OK on my laptop and for a UK sighting of the aurora that's as good as I've seen. As for Marilyn Monroe I agree with you, you've lost it. :D
Might be worth having a chat with the golf club they could be interested in a copy of the last one for the club house wall.

Last edited:
Out of interest, when looking at the skies is it as impressive as the photos or is that the result of high sensitivity and long exposure?

Seeing the northern lights is on the bucket list and it would be quite nice to see them from our isle but it's a long old journey from Southampton!

Out of interest, when looking at the skies is it as impressive as the photos or is that the result of high sensitivity and long exposure?

Seeing the northern lights is on the bucket list and it would be quite nice to see them from our isle but it's a long old journey from Southampton!

My mate see them last night in Northumberland. Very jealous!!

As I understand it the reason that a sensor will pick up the northern lights when the eye doesn't is to do with the eye's night vision.

The eye's light receptors are known as rods and cones. Cones are sensitive to colour, and the rods to light, but they are about 1000 times more sensitive than the cones.

So when light levels are very low, like at night, the rods are far more effective at picking anything up. But only as "white". Light intensity is just not high enough for the cones to pick up any colour. So the sensor picks up what is really there whereas the eye doesn't. I wouldn't mind guessing that the orange glow in the sky (bottom right) is caused by street lighting and is probably visible as white to the naked eye?

There may be a long exposure contribution as well but I think that's basically the reason.

Nice pics by the way! Now you mention it I can see Marilyn as well.

EDIT: Correction made to explanation above so that it makes sense....

Last edited:

The colours you are seeing here is the result of longer exposure time and sensitive modern camera sensors. You will see it with the naked eye especially if there is a major storm going on but without the colour intensity. Your best bet is to head for Iceland or some other northern destination in late winter/early spring and keep your fingers crossed for storm conditions and a clear sky. If you go to Iceland and it doesn't happen for you it won't be a wasted trip as it's a landscape photographers paradise.

As Andy says, you'll see colour during a strong storm/show but usually just the green. The pinky purple comes out after a little PP (even from JPEGs!)

Nice capture
there is a forecast for tonight for the Aurora I use the Auroa watch app it is pretty good it will alert you on activity any amber alert will give a good chance of seeing if you can get to high point in northern England and southern Scotland

Very nice....especially that first one and the last over Wick GC. Again, I'm very jealous... :)

Very nice :)

Storm level G2 is forecast for tonight, which should equate to about KP6- overhead in Aberdeen.

As I understand it the reason that a sensor will pick up the northern lights when the eye doesn't is to do with the eye's night vision.

The eye's light receptors are known as rods and cones. Cones are sensitive to colour, and the rods to light, but they are about 1000 times more sensitive than the cones.

So when light levels are very low, like at night, the rods are far more effective at picking anything up. But only as "white". Light intensity is just not high enough for the cones to pick up any colour. So the sensor picks up what is really there whereas the eye doesn't. I wouldn't mind guessing that the orange glow in the sky (bottom right) is caused by street lighting and is probably visible as white to the naked eye?

There may be a long exposure contribution as well but I think that's basically the reason.

Nice pics by the way! Now you mention it I can see Marilyn as well.

EDIT: Correction made to explanation above so that it makes sense....

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments. I think last night was very strong nudging KP6.5 so should have been visible over most of the UK away from light and with clear skies.
Good to know why the colour is hard to see by eye, the green was just noticeable by eye at stages.
Need to go through the rest of the images I took later, and the orange light near the bottom right in the first is from a village 10 miles over the hill, with the horizontal streaks cars on the road heading to John O Groats.
I've seen some stunning ones taken locally and I'm quite pleased with my first captures but think I'll give tonight a miss as I'm still defrosting my toes!

Very nice :)

Storm level G2 is forecast for tonight, which should equate to about KP6- overhead in Aberdeen.
OH no, maybe I'll have to go back out!
I'll see what the chatter is by the local Aurora chasers later

What set up do you have on the camera for this? I'd like to see them, no sure I want to mess about with settings too much and miss the show. If indeed I can see it from Perthshire

What set up do you have on the camera for this? I'd like to see them, no sure I want to mess about with settings too much and miss the show. If indeed I can see it from Perthshire
I was using a Canon with the 24-105 lens on a tripod, use a remote release or delayed , lock up the miror and use live view, F4 15 secs and ISO800 switch of IS and auto focus (manually focus on a star and leave it)

Thanks!
I have same lens, so that helps.
Might dust out the tripod and head to Little Glenshee
As I said I'm a newbie to this but google is your friend :) If you have a faster and wider lens thats better for capture.
Good luck

Appreciate the heads up. I'll see if they are visible and head out. Got rid of my uwa lens, so will have to go with the 24-105

OH no, maybe I'll have to go back out!
I'll see what the chatter is by the local Aurora chasers later

Update. Only forecast to be KP 3, so a quiet night. You may see something, but maybe not :)

I have two lovely pics of street light glow :)

Back