My First Gig RESULTS!

lukewoodford

FYI, I am Luke Woodford.....by Luke Woodford
Name
Luke Woodford
Edit My Images
No
First of all id just like to say thanks again for all the advice given from you guys leading up to this, it helped alot!

Well it was interesting, great fun! It was a small stage with lots of room around it. The lighting was fine, if anything not enough coloured lighting. The band only played half an hour which went so quick! Here are the results, i know some are a bit soft but they are to used on their myspace so shouldnt be too much of a problem, i did dtruggle to get them sharp. they are all taken with the 50mm 1.4. Please bare in mind ive only been learnig photography a month! C+C very welcome, thanks for looking.

gig1-1.jpg

GIG014-1.jpg

GIG015-1.jpg

GIG024_edited-1-1.jpg

GIG044-1.jpg

GIG058-1.jpg

GIG061-1.jpg

GIG072-1.jpg

GIG074-1.jpg

Last edited:
What is going on in #4???

Whatever it is, you should have zoomed it more! :) :)

I love 1 and 4. Great shots. I've never used a prime lens for gigs. this make me think I sould try one. I've always used a zoom so I can get a mixture of shots. But of course you don't get f1.4 with my zoom lens

Nice work, keep it up.

P.S What was the band? (the first guy looks familiar for some reason)

I love 1 and 4. Great shots. I've never used a prime lens for gigs. this make me think I sould try one. I've always used a zoom so I can get a mixture of shots. But of course you don't get f1.4 with my zoom lens

Nice work, keep it up.

P.S What was the band? (the first guy looks familiar for some reason)

next time im going to use my zoom to see the difference, it was easy to get light in the shot however difficult to frame them and being nervous/excited i had a bit of camera shake and my zooms got VR. the band are Echo State from Brighton, they play quite alot in the area.

I've heard of the band, but never seen them so I think the lad must look like someone else I've seen (it's going to bug me who now)

When you use your zoom you'll find you prob won't get as much light in as you'd like. At least that's what I find. But then I'm pretty new to photography so it might just be me!

I've heard of the band, but never seen them so I think the lad must look like someone else I've seen (it's going to bug me who now)

When you use your zoom you'll find you prob won't get as much light in as you'd like. At least that's what I find. But then I'm pretty new to photography so it might just be me!

You are right, you get loads of light with a 50mm 1.4

I quite like the look of number 4. It's often quite difficult to get a decent shot of a drummer, being to the rear of the stage and with so much equiptment cluttered around them, and with constant movement. I find it to be the most difficult shot to make in a live performance. Aside from that one, I also like 2 and 6. Nice shots.

These are great, lots of variety, and bags of energy in the shots.

Would have liked a 'group' shot of the whole band just so I could put the individual shots into perspective, but no biggy.

Good work, and well done

great shots 1 is the star shot its the diffrent lights that makes shots like this i think it realy gives the atmosphere. the grain works on the others also.
Number 4 just needs the bottom croping as a lot of blank space not adding anything to the shot i feel.
thanks for sharing

#4 has some nice action in it. And the first pic is pretty cool as well. Shame you couldn't get up on stage and get in real close :)

#4 has some nice action in it. And the first pic is pretty cool as well. Shame you couldn't get up on stage and get in real close :)

Thanks for the comment, i could have got on the stage more but being my first time i wanted to just fake sure i got a few good shots, next time ill be more adventurous!

I love these pics. Im a big follower of bands in my area and love nothing more than a live gig!
I havent taken my camera to any gigs yet, just not confident that id be able to get good shots. . . these have inspired me alot though ....

As said above you've caught the energy and sweat of the gig

If I had to pick a couple of faves it'd be nos 1 and 2 for the lighting and composition and the concentration you've caught on their faces!

I love these pics. Im a big follower of bands in my area and love nothing more than a live gig!
I havent taken my camera to any gigs yet, just not confident that id be able to get good shots. . . these have inspired me alot though ....

I totally understand what you mean but i was lucky because the lead singer is a friend of mine so he just said come along, it will be a good project for you. I didnt charge either so there wasnt really any pressure, it was just a bonus if i got a few good shots from it. If you know people in bands then just ask to tag along and if you get any good ones give them to them for free!

Thanks I will. I watch at least one band a week, my man plays in three!! Living here (Guernsey) all the musicicans know each other, so if he isnt playing, his mates are!
Thanks for this post, it has inspired me loads!

Some great shots there, got my 1st gig next fri/sat, hope my shots come out as good as these.

Good Stuff! :clap:

What sort of settings did you find worked best?

Last edited:
Some great shots there, got my 1st gig next fri/sat, hope my shots come out as good as these.

Good Stuff! :clap:

What sort of settings did you find worked best?

I got all these shots on d300, iso2000 or higher, no flash, basically just play around with manual and see what you get, i used the 50mm 1.4. Good luck!

Back