My first lens!!

Edit My Images
No
Just picked up my first fast 50mm!! It's a Minolta 1.7 .... first impressions are great, excellent clarity, colours .... so good that I am thinking of checking out the 1.4!

Anyone owned/tried these two? Just interested in finding out if it's worth it before I go ahead :)

Taking it that you have only just got this 1.7, would it not pay to get some use out of it and see what it is really capable of before considering paying out so quickly for the 1.4 which is what, something like a half stop faster is it??

Your money but perhaps you are running away with excitement.

Maybe if you slow down a little and allow that excitement to ease off, work with this 1.7 and see wether ayou really have a need for the same focal length at 1.4 or wether your money could go to some other equipment that might broaden your horizons further.

The Minolta 50 f/1.7 is a great little lens - use it and enjoy it!

The 50 f/1.4 is better, but stop them both down to f/2.8 or f/4 and you'll probably not notice a real difference.

I upgraded because PC World were selling a bulk load of 50 f/1.4 for £130 via eBay, and for that price it was a simple choice :D

... Your money but perhaps you are running away with excitement.

Maybe if you slow down a little and allow that excitement to ease off, work with this 1.7 and see wether ayou really have a need for the same focal length at 1.4 or wether your money could go to some other equipment that might broaden your horizons further.

What Asha said.

My reasoning was that yes this is my first fast 50 but if the 1.7 is this good then the 1.4 must be better ... it's not excitement, I would prefer to take the best shots that I can, for the difference in the second hand price would it be worth it?

My reasoning was that yes this is my first fast 50 but if the 1.7 is this good then the 1.4 must be better ... it's not excitement, I would prefer to take the best shots that I can, for the difference in the second hand price would it be worth it?

It's not forced to be "better".

Optically the 1.7 may prove as good if not better than the 1.4......I personally wouldn't know having never used either of them.

If the difference in price would be worth it is very much dependant on your reasons behind taking the plunge....to "take the best shots that you can" may not be worth the money if you haven't yet got the "best shot" from the 1.7 due to your own photography skills.

If your photography skills have pushed the capabilities of the 1.7 to its limit then maybe, just maybe the 1.4 would offer you a little more but seeing as you have only just acquired the 1.7, I'm wondering if there isn't a lot of your own talent to find first??!

Back