My first lightning

Edit My Images
Yes
Here's something I managed to catch last night, from the comfort of our own balcony.

We had just been bored to death by the EURO2008 game between Germany and Poland, when some flashes started to appear in the sky.
It was close to midnight (I live in Finland) but I thought that I should finally give a try to catching lightning with the camera.
It's something I've really wanted to try for quite a while... but never had the time/opportunity. So, I stepped out to the balcony, had my cable release in my hand, and instead of just snapping picture after another I always pressed the shutter when I saw a flash.

I got a total of 10 'OK' shots in an hour.. but I think this one was the best of the lot. The lightning really was mainly in the clouds and you only saw a flash like this every five minutes or so.

For me a shutter opening of about 0'6 - 0'8 seconds seemed to do the trick with the shots. ISO was annoyingly high at 1600 so there is more noise than I would like.

Any C&C and opinions of the photo are appreciated ... hope you enjoy the picture.

p.s It was great to do get 'away' from Sports Photography for an evening...

C6I8607_copy.jpg

Yup, cant really fault that, perfectly exposed !! Well done !!

and as for noise ? WHERE ??

Stunning, truely great shot.

Awesome spectacle, great catch.

:agree: :clap: well caught

Cracking shot that.
I would love to capture lightning strikes from a place that I know, only problem being I would be the highest point for miles around, press shutter then run like hell:eek:

That is a striking shot (no pun intended!). I've been trying to take lightning shots for years but isn't having much luck so I'm well jealous of your effort. Good shot! :)

Awesome shot (y)

PS. Germany v. Poland was indeed boring, as much as so as the rest of Euro08 so far.

what a cracking shot, love the highlights on the clouds

Thank you very much for everyone for all your positive comments...

For some reason after managing to capture this.. I wish for another thunderstorm... I wonder why?

I was actually surprised by the fact that as my eyes registered the flash of lightning, I could still press the remote shutter and be able to catch the image. I really thought that I would just have to keep snapping pictures all the time and hope one in 1000 gets a lightning. (although I am sure I missed many lightnings last night as well).

It is not very lively trying to get these shots... but when you manage to capture a good shot... You know it's been worth it. I know this image will find its way to my walls in a bigger size.

Oh, and about the comments on the footie...well come on, it has been quite boring up to now. *smiles* Although tonights Holland - Italy was half entertaining...

The only noise i can see is the stoopid one that is all over my laptop screen (Crap laptop) for photo viewing. I know it is the screen because it is the same with every photo :)

Love the photo, was it handheld?

The only noise i can see is the stoopid one that is all over my laptop screen (Crap laptop) for photo viewing. I know it is the screen because it is the same with every photo :)

Love the photo, was it handheld?

I had the camera on a tripod, luckily the strong wind came from behind our building. So the balcony was sheltered.
With the exposure time (guess 0.6 seconds - I could check the EXIF for confirmation of that) being quite long and no IS on the lens .. no chance to get it handheld.

HOLY COW!!!!!
That is an absolutely amazing shot!

:clap:

(I do hope we have a few storms this year!!)

That is simply superb. :clap:

Capturing lightning is one of my goals and if I ever manage it and the picture is as good as that, I'll be a very happy person !

outstanding shot, would be a very happy man getting a shot like that (y)

That is a stunning photo, absolutely superb :clap::clap:

Great shot! I always wonder what poor person is at the bottom of the lightning fork! lol

That was well caught even more so concidering the short shutter speed (y)
You must have lightning reactions :coat:

I love lightning shots. This one is pretty darn moody! Well done - I like it.

Back