Edit My Images
No
ISO 3200
f/3.5
60 Seconds.
10mm

2014-2979-L.jpg

Superbe!
If I can ask, is it softness of the lens on the edges? It looks like starts have move more on the outside of the frame.

Looks really good, like the colours a lot, although you can see the stars moving a bit.

I too had my first go at shooting the Milky Way the other day and found star movement even doing a 30 sec exposure.

Superbe!
If I can ask, is it softness of the lens on the edges? It looks like starts have move more on the outside of the frame.

Thank you Thomas, I think what you're seeing there is possibly some distortion as a result of shooting at 10mm and as it was a relatively long exposure so there is some star trailing (I think). When I use the lens for regular daytime quick shutter exposures, there's no softening apparent.

Looks really good, like the colours a lot, although you can see the stars moving a bit.

I too had my first go at shooting the Milky Way the other day and found star movement even doing a 30 sec exposure.

Thanks James. yeah, I think in order to reduce my exposure, I'd have had to go to ISO 6400 and despite the 7D reportedly handling that quite well, I just don't like it. I suppose I should have tried it. You'll certainly see star movement even with 30 seconds but if you're at the very short end of the lens, it shouldn't be too apparent. I'm no expert but I imagine shooting the same scene on a full frame camera would also reduce the apparentness of star trailing (at least for me as I was shooting on a crop)

This is a single exposure too. I believe stacking multiple images is a good way of going about shooting the night sky. I know I've used that method for star trails in the past but I know people use stacking for star fields too.

Gosh, that's shot at 10mm! I would never had tought so. But thinking about it the milky way does take quiet a large part of the sky!

I had the same experience while shooting the northern light last winter. With 30sec star trail start to be noticeable, 20 sec is better but you need some crazy iso which my 40D doesn't do.

Thanks James. yeah, I think in order to reduce my exposure, I'd have had to go to ISO 6400 and despite the 7D reportedly handling that quite well, I just don't like it. I suppose I should have tried it. You'll certainly see star movement even with 30 seconds but if you're at the very short end of the lens, it shouldn't be too apparent. I'm no expert but I imagine shooting the same scene on a full frame camera would also reduce the apparentness of star trailing (at least for me as I was shooting on a crop)

This is a single exposure too. I believe stacking multiple images is a good way of going about shooting the night sky. I know I've used that method for star trails in the past but I know people use stacking for star fields too.

For sure, mine was shot at 3200, 3.5, 30 sec exposure, 18mm but obviously on FX and I still had colour noise on a D3... I hate going to high ISO haha.

Back