My first photo upload - yes its a Robin!

Edit My Images
No
Was out a few sundays ago with my new 500D i got for christmas, my brother was trying to show me how to use the thing! Still got lots to learn and lots more reading needed :bang:

One of very few photos that came out postable! lol

C&C welcomed and appreciated (i need to learn!)

4301464909_172e84e702.jpg

Last edited:
Your pic is a bit big, the rules say 800 pix on the longest side.

Looks a touch over exposed but you were shooting in fierce sun.

Never be too afraid to post pics on here because you are a beginner, some of the best photographers in the UK post pics on here and they had to start somewhere too.

Hello Dan ... the shot is nicely composed, and the bird is in focus, it looks underexposed because it is back lit.

The most important thing with photography is the light, (imagine a clock face on the ground) you were stood at 6 o'clock, and the sun was coming from 1 o'clock, hence the majority of the bird is in shadow.

Try and get between the sun and your subject, ideally with the sun coming at an angle over your shoulder, if you are in a direct line between the sun and the subject you will see less detail in the feathers, having the sun coming from an angle behind you will give some relief and shadow to the feathers.

Hello Dan ... the shot is nicely composed, and the bird is in focus, it looks underexposed because it is back lit.

The most important thing with photography is the light, (imagine a clock face on the ground) you were stood at 6 o'clock, and the sun was coming from 1 o'clock, hence the majority of the bird is in shadow.

Try and get between the sun and your subject, ideally with the sun coming at an angle over your shoulder, if you are in a direct line between the sun and the subject you will see less detail in the feathers, having the sun coming from an angle behind you will give some relief and shadow to the feathers.

All very true and I would only add that I actually like the lighting and bokeh [background blurring of light] of this shot. As a study of habitat its actually nicely done. (y)

cheers guys, thats a great tip Martyn and something i'll have to remember. Something simple as that that i wouldnt have thought of! :puke:

Nice start, the problem with birds though is they don't always stand in the correct place for the light :LOL:

:agree:

Sound advice from Martyn and look forward to more of your bird posts.

Remember if the shot doesn't work out you can always post it in the Duffers thread here :D

Back