My first pic here

Edit My Images
Yes
Well, here it is:
archer01.jpg

Taken at Old Sarum, outside Salisbury, at the beginning of March, with an EOS 1N loaded with Fuji Sensia 100 and a 24-70L IS

I can't remember the shutter speed etc, because I've been to the pub since :p

Scanned with a Minolta Dual IV, despotted and levels tweaked in PSE.

One question, how do other people keep their slides clean?

Alan Woodford

Nice timing. Did you speak to the guy tho? If not, why not? That way you could have asked him to take another shot when there was no one walking past. Those people in the background totally destroy the shot IMO. You could always remove them in PS, but it's best not to get into such laziness. Digital post work is not meant to be a get out clause... much better to wait until what you see in the frame is what you actually want to record.

Keep your slides clean by using a digital camera!! :) Only kidding.. just keep them in a box, and only take them out to use/scan. A very soft blower brush is useful.

Personally I'd have cropped it like this
archer01.jpg

That way the eye follows the eye's trajectory.
Remove the dog walkers!!.. and next time wait for them to pass, and take a good look around your viewfinder.

Good capture, but have to agree about the wanderers, does have a good composition to it with the pose of the archer and the path of the arrow.

Id definately try to crop out the people, or alternatively you crop out the target and have it look like a warning shot across their heads;)

Thanks for sharing(y)

heh i agree with Pook, the crop focuses on the arrow, its a good effort, but them people...grrrrr!

What people :shrug:

archer01.jpg

Think it actualy balances better with them there (y)

Thanks for the comments, guys.

The crop definitely helps, but if I'd stayed any longer waiting for a clear background I'd probably have had to walk home - She Who Must Be Obeyed was getting very insistent that she wanted food :)

To be honest though, not checking for that sort of annoying intrusion is something I'm quite bad at, so maybe I need to take more pics as practice.

I'd better use the 20D for most of them though, although I must admit I do like shooting slides, and the 1N does give nice wide shots. (anyone who suggests a 5D or a 1Ds Mk II can pay my dentists bills when Anne catches me... )

I do like HIMUPNORTH's edit though, that was just about how I felt when I checked the slides :D

Alan Woodford

You dont need a 5d or 1N. I use a 350d, and it's plenty. Build quality is a little suspect, and it's a little toy-like, but results matter. I'm only bothered about teh final image, not wearing it as jewellery :)

Pook said:
You dont need a 5d or 1N. I use a 350d, and it's plenty. Build quality is a little suspect, and it's a little toy-like, but results matter. I'm only bothered about teh final image, not wearing it as jewellery :)

Oh, I'm only too aware of that :D. Realistically, I am walking typing proof that expensive toys don't automatically take better pictures. :LOL:

When I bought my 1N second hand it was cheaper than any DSLR available at the time. It's built like a tank, and is likely to stand anything I throw at it while film is still available.

There is only one good reason for wanting a 5d, and that is to get the most out of the wide end of my lenses.

As far as the 350d goes, it is a great camera, but it is too small for my ten thumbs to hold comfortably :(

Anyway, ta for your input Pook, it is appreciated, but I've got to get to work rather than stay here typing all morning.

Alan Woodford

Back