My first play with "stacking" - [pics added 11-12-09]

Edit My Images
Yes
Used CombineZM, and managed to get these two. First one was 4 pictures, second one was 8.

They still look a bit fuzzy. Not the absolute crispness I was hoping for. Taken with my 18-55mm lens. (It's holly, incase you were wondering).

Any advice welcomed!

StackedDropCrop.jpg

8StackedCrop.jpg

Last edited:
Good try Ash, I tend to just use 2 shots for drops (unless I am shooting multi drops), one to get the drop sharp and the other for the refraction. You need to try and not move the camera too much between shots so getting a resting point is good if possible and just sliding the camera closer to focus.

Good try Ash, I tend to just use 2 shots for drops (unless I am shooting multi drops), one to get the drop sharp and the other for the refraction. You need to try and not move the camera too much between shots so getting a resting point is good if possible and just sliding the camera closer to focus.

Ah ok! I'll have another go tomorrow. And yeh, the moving was the most annoying bit. What I did for the second pic was use the EOS Utility software, where you can take a pic from the computer, so didn't have to touch the camera at all. So it should in theory be in exactly the same place.

I think I need better subjects for the refraction too...

Thanks, appreciate it :)

nearly there though (y) nice ones
i like the idea of using something christamassy. try a picture of santa for the refraction perhaps.

Haha, it has to be small to get the best focus :p I'll see what I can find...(y)

So, after the advice of just using two pictures for the stacking for the droplets, I got these two quite easily: (ok, subject matter leaves a little to be desired again... but it's the technical side I was after :p)

CardStackCrop.jpg

ChristmasStackCrop.jpg

And played about taking 4 pictures with a very obliging cricket. I reeeeally need a macro lens :(

CricketTWOStackCrop.jpg

ashmashmash what do you use for stacking ? im having problem with CS4 stacking lol

You seem to be getting the hang of it(y) Never tried stacking how do you find it?

These are looking a little under exposed but sharper ;)

ashmashmash what do you use for stacking ? im having problem with CS4 stacking lol

After seeing a post by Alby (I think!), I am playing with CombineZM. Seems to work fine!

You seem to be getting the hang of it(y) Never tried stacking how do you find it?

Thanks! Found it very easy. Using the EOS Utility software on my computer, connected to the cam, to focus and take the pictures. That way the camera doesn't move and the pictures are identical apart from focus. Then just click some buttons in the program and it does it for me!

These are looking a little under exposed but sharper ;)

Yeh I agree... but the sharpness was what I was after, thanks! :D

Back