My first portrait (candid)

Edit My Images
Yes
To start off. Hi.
I joined up a few months ago but not been that active. I will be now as things have taken off. I shall explain later.

So to kick things off. A little back ground information can be seen here.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17808796

So as this is my first portrait I would like some C&C. Which no doubt you will give me. If you have read that thread on OcUK you would know it is a just a mock shoot to biuld up to the proper one (amature one) that I am going to do for a friend. Its all practice and experience for me.

Carol-Portrait-test%20copy%20(Medium).jpg

I own limited equipment and what I have done I am quite happy with.

Definitely a good foundation to build upon Chris & you sound like you have the confidence to deal with the shoot.
I find that sticking with your usual set of photography & portrait rules will see you through most situations. Be careful of the background that you are using, make sure it's not too cluttered, ensure focus is on the eyes, etc.
The tone & processing of the image looks good although it does look like you have lost detail in the highlighted areas (cheeks & forehead) possibly due to the processing though (happens to me all of the time with the processing that I use & I just mask to re-introduce the details)

Think that you're almost there with the sharpness but the portrait does look a tad soft - once again, not sure if this was intentional via the processing but if not then a quick high pass filter/USM should help a bit.

A very good first effort, looking forward to seeing more & good luck with the shoot (y)

Thanks for the advice there. The picture was taken freehand so thats the reason its soft. Slight blurring..with no flash. I used natural light too.

There is a little loss of detail on the face. That might be due to me aver using the levels and other options. The idea is there for me and like you said. Something to build on.

Back