My first proper camera

Edit My Images
No
ok, so ive had a normal digital camera and i now want to get a better one as i am progressing with photography.

i have my eyes set on a Nikon P90, i just wanted to know if anyone else has got this camera or if someone can give me some ideas or reviews, thanks.

i am plannig to do action shots of horses, it needs to be good for that.

Hi,

I don't have the P90 but I do have the p80.

Whilst I like the camera it is not very good for action shots, for that you really do need to be looking at a DSLR. I bought the P80 and after a few months wished I had bought a DSLR as I was finding it not very good in certain situations....mainly low light using high ISO.

Hope that helps a little bit :)

I'm sure the P90 is quite a good camera, but it's quite expensive for what it is, for the same sort of money you could get yourself a fairly decent dslr which would allow you to buy extra lenses as and when your budget allows.

It's certainly not a camera I'd personally recommend for the sort of shots you have in mind...

thanks for the comments, i want a camera that can use the screen as well as the view finder for a max of £300 at a push if possible.

it also has to have a good zoom as i cant always get in close.

my sister has a Nikon D40 and it is a very good camera but you cant use the screen to see the picture you are about to take and it also doesnt do video which is also something that i would want.

Remember the viewfinder on these cameras is really just a tiny digital screen....I find it very hard to use no my Nikon P80. That makes it difficult as in the sunlight the screnn is also impossible to see.

Can i get a reason why you dont want to use a view finder, and want to use an LCD screen?
Ever thought that if the light reflects off it, you wont be able to see it very well? And if thats the case, then how will you see your shot?

I'd get an older entry level DSLR, and then maybe something like a 28-300mm lens, that will give you the zoom you need, even if it will be slower then higher priced lenses

I cannot stand using the screen on a camera to compose the shot.
I used to do it with the P&S but since getting the D80 I always use the finder on the P&S.

Live view would not be a deal breaker for me, I know I wouldn't ever use it on a DSLR.

i want one that has both, i like to use the screen sometimes and i sometimes i want to use the view finder.
i would just like to have the option of both.

it also needs to be compact as it dont want a big camera to have to carry round with me.

Back