My First Roll of Velvia

Lovely warm colours and tones to these very nice, ahh the memories, I used to love Kodachrome 64.

Sweet, they look great.
Mart

First and third are lovely - classic examples of shots on velvia, and showing the film off at what it's best at. Second one is a classic example of Velvia's ferociously tight exposure lattitude. Half a stop underexposed, and the shadowed areas just block up - at least on scans - I dare say that on the lightbox, with the loupe, there's plenty of detail in the shadows, but the scanner just can't dig it out somehow. In situations like this, with strong contrasty shadows, I'll err on the side of pushing the exposure - indeed on 35mm, with the EOS-3, I'll probably shoot Velvia 100 at 80 ISO (or 50 at 40iso), and set the auto-bracketing to do + and - 1/3 stops if it's a shot I want to be sure of getting something useable on.

First one is lush - classic Velvia vibe going on there (y)

Agree with TBY's comments, though sometimes with slide you have to compromise with exposure - blow the highlights, block up the shadows... or use a graduated filter... ;)

Looks like you did a good job - It's very easy to f*** up exposure with Velvia...

Last edited:
I love the first and third, both remind me of my childhood coming to Milford Haven to visit my grandparents. You could see the refinery from their window. Love the colours and the quality of the photos too, you can tell they are MF, even from the small shots on screen!

Don't often comment on photos shared but love looking through the film sharing section just to come across shots like number one, stunning mate, absolutely stunning, the depth the cloud gives is amazing, nice one.

Don't often comment on photos shared but love looking through the film sharing section just to come across shots like number one, stunning mate, absolutely stunning, the depth the cloud gives is amazing, nice one.

Why thank you!

Wow now there's some beautiful colour!! I really love the first and third shots. I'm not qualified to critique anything landscape related but just thought I'd put in my 2p lol

Danny

:LOL: If it's so typical Velvia, how come I've been shooting Velvia for 30 years now and still not managed a shot like that :bonk:

They look fantastic, I'm definately going to have to get myself one of these film thingies :p

But great images and they do look very good and hard to tell they are not digitalx

They look fantastic, I'm definately going to have to get myself one of these film thingies :p

But great images and they do look very good and hard to tell they are not digitalx

That's fighting talk, where I come from...

:LOL:

Seriously loving all of these but the first one.........well......... special.

Andy

Back