My first rugby Match

Dal

Is always right
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
I was invited to this as 2 of my work colleagues were playing (on opposite sides). Think i did terrible with this as i've never done sports photography before

C&C welcome.

DSC_0143.jpg

DSC_0128.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

Hi Dal....hows it going mate....

Like the fact you have ventured into sports...I nearly did a football match today but dad took the telephoto so didnt have the equipment...

I like 3 the best...i'm not sure why....I think a little wider would have done the shot wonders though as it looks like the player is looking into the direction the scrum is...but still good stuff..

I like them all but all I would say is they seem a bit static...I'm not a great rugby fan but were there any chances to get players running and others catching up or being left for dead...

Overall mate great stuff and full marks for covering a new aspect....

How do you fancy doing a football match with me soon?

Regards
AJ

1,2 and 3 for me :)

Hi Dal....hows it going mate....

Like the fact you have ventured into sports...I nearly did a football match today but dad took the telephoto so didnt have the equipment...

I like 3 the best...i'm not sure why....I think a little wider would have done the shot wonders though as it looks like the player is looking into the direction the scrum is...but still good stuff..

I like them all but all I would say is they seem a bit static...I'm not a great rugby fan but were there any chances to get players running and others catching up or being left for dead...

Overall mate great stuff and full marks for covering a new aspect....

How do you fancy doing a football match with me soon?

Regards
AJ

Going pretty good thanks buddy.

The main downside i had with this shoot was that i know nothing about rubgy so didnt know where to shoot. the weather was horrible and the crowd moves along with the play so people kept getting in the way lol.

Yeah, i'm up for doing a footie match one day.

cheers for the comments. hope the guys at work like them aswell

Not bad attempts for your first shots. Rugby can be quite hard to photograph but yours shots are mostly quite sharp. But you now need to get some good action shots. If you don't know much about rugby, try and follow the ball, watch the back of the scrum to see where the scrum half will pass and try and get the backs running through. If you can go along to a training session one evening, watch the backs and try and learn their calls. You might also learn each players special moves. My husband's speciality (as a centre) is a crash ball, so when he gets the ball he tends to run through the defence which makes for pretty good action shots. But there's all sorts of moves that each team has which after a while you'll be able to pick up and work out where the ball is moving to.

I'll stick some on from last week

Not bad attempts for your first shots. Rugby can be quite hard to photograph but yours shots are mostly quite sharp. But you now need to get some good action shots. If you don't know much about rugby, try and follow the ball, watch the back of the scrum to see where the scrum half will pass and try and get the backs running through. If you can go along to a training session one evening, watch the backs and try and learn their calls. You might also learn each players special moves. My husband's speciality (as a centre) is a crash ball, so when he gets the ball he tends to run through the defence which makes for pretty good action shots. But there's all sorts of moves that each team has which after a while you'll be able to pick up and work out where the ball is moving to.

I'll stick some on from last week

Thanks for the sound advice there. I have the advantage that the 2 guys in the game work on the same floor as me so will try and attend some more of thier games.

I know absolutely nothing about rugby so couldnt follow the game at all. and all the action shots came out blurred as i was use to shooting motorsport which uses a much slower shutter speed (not good for sports).

I guess the main thing is that i learnt alot from this shoot.

will post some of the not so good photo's later aswell.

No probs Dal. Just seacrh for some of my rugby images and see what my early ones were like - not too good!!

I have the advantage of now owning a f2.8 so shoot at that for the game. But there's some good advice that was given to me on a few of my shots

Hi Dal,

Just to add to what Kelack said. I was in a situation like you and my Rugger photos have come on (but still always room for improvement) after I got the following advice on here:

Ball should be in the shot.
Crop in tighter on the action.

If you have no idea about Rugby you really have to understand the key situations for 'action' shots...

1 - Lineouts - unless you know the lineout calls you won't know where the ball is being thrown. Be prepared to try and shoot as the ball is thrown in and the jumper is lifted to the ball. Once you have sussed this it is an 'easy' action shot.

2 - After the Scrum and breakdown - watch at the back scrum and breakdown (ruck and maul). Again the ball will be passed by the scrum half (usually) to a ball carrier at some point. Watch the people not involved in the ruck / maul on the attacking side. The ball may go to a forward or a back (perhaps the fly half) who will try and run with the ball. Running, or tackling photo opportunity!

3 - other situations in the 'tight' - the maul where if you are lucky you will get the ball and other people pushing over for a try!

And yes try and keep you're shutter speed high. I don't shoot less than 1/400 (depending on the zoom I am using).

The main downside i had with this shoot was that i know nothing about rubgy so didnt know where to shoot. the weather was horrible and the crowd moves along with the play so people kept getting in the way lol.

Just re-read this thread and noticed this comment. For small club games you get this but you can also go where you want. I tend to stand behind the try line or on the touchline at one corner. Obviously I choose this corner dependant on light (try and get it behind me!).

A number reasons for this thinking.

--Avoids the problem you've described above.
--You are closer to the action if a try is scored.
--Behind the try line you will get front on shots.
--Rugby players in defence will run in the direction of the touch / try line corner flag as this will normally be the shortest way to the next breakdown. Hence more faces / fronts of players in the shots.

Just my 2pth.

Back