My first studio shots - Tae Kwon Do

Edit My Images
Yes
I've been building my own studio for the past few months and last night was my first use of it. Simple light setup for these, one BG light, one brolly to my left and for one or two used a gold reflector to my lower right.

Here are a couple of my favs

index.php

index.php

index.php

More can be found here: http://www.craigdouglasphotography....omgallery&Itemid=3&func=viewcategory&catid=21

C&C welcome:)

good shots (y)

I've seen this guy spar in competition too, he's pretty good.

wow ... great high key shots .. would also be nice to see in low key / dark background too .. might be worth comparing

good shots (y)

I've seen this guy spar in competition too, he's pretty good.

Cheers. He's one of my mates and wanted some shots doing so thought he'd be a prime target for me :D

wow ... great high key shots .. would also be nice to see in low key / dark background too .. might be worth comparing

Thanks for the comments!

I agree about using a dark background, I just don't have one yet. Only just finished the studio so I'm just using the white walls at the minute. Couldn't believe it when he turned up in white kit, not the easiest thing to shoot against white backdrop for my first shots :LOL:

cant fault these shots at all. Well controlled background, good lighting and pose for the subject.(y)

Nice shots Ill agree, but they most certainly arent high key :)

And if you really want to watermark your work, Id use something much bigger. But we do appreciate it when pics arent watermarked on here :D

You've done well with these, but you've relied on Photoshop when it would have been much easier and quicker to have relied on lighting, and to have used shadows to good effect.

This kind of effect is great for showing off the moves, but he'd look a lot better with more controlled lighing IMO

You've done well with these, but you've relied on Photoshop when it would have been much easier and quicker to have relied on lighting, and to have used shadows to good effect.

This kind of effect is great for showing off the moves, but he'd look a lot better with more controlled lighing IMO

My first attempt in the studio and didn't have BG lighting set up properly. Got a bit more work to do to mount the BG lights out of view so I've got more room to work with and can place the main light/reflectors better then.

The studio is 17.5ft by 8.5ft and about 8ft high so there wasn't much room with the BG light on tripod one side and umbrella on the other.

They were specifically for putting on facebook and to get a decent print of him kicking for his wall so it's more of a case of satisfy the customer with what they want rather than going for arty effects.

On all these photos I spent no more than 5mins in PS. I hate post processing so always limit editing time to 5mins (unless the client requests it).

I've been re-arranging lighting today and will be this week so I can focus on getting it right first time to reduce PS :)

Thanks for all the comments and feedback everyone, I've got a lot more requests from people at his club now which is always nice :)

Last edited:
Nice shots Ill agree, but they most certainly arent high key :)

And if you really want to watermark your work, Id use something much bigger. But we do appreciate it when pics arent watermarked on here :D

I've got my website set up to automatically watermark all my work and post using direct links from there. I don't like watermarking my work, but now I'm turning this into my livelihood I kind of need to. At the same time I don't want it to detract from the picture. With these being white it shows up a lot more than on all my other photos however :(

He's also asked for a collage of them with one main pic, so I've just knocked this one together.

index.php

Nice shots - very clean. You should tell him to keep his foot flat when he's kicking though - rather sloppy :)

You should tell him to keep his foot flat when he's kicking though - rather sloppy :)

Really :thinking: From my Karate days the edge was the way to go with this sort of kick

And as Betty says, these aren't 'High Key' shots, just decent shots on a white background

And as Garry says, nothing arty at all, but useful for such as Facebook or magazine images where text can be placed

And as Craig says (bored yet :D) what the client wants takes priority when you're being paid

5 mins PP is still too long though, such as this for me would be a simple action with the variable being levels only - sharpening, contrast, colour etc. would all be set as part of the action. That way you could process hundreds at an event with virtually no time input from you

DD

Really :thinking: From my Karate days the edge was the way to go with this sort of kick

And as Betty says, these aren't 'High Key' shots, just decent shots on a white background

And as Garry says, nothing arty at all, but useful for such as Facebook or magazine images where text can be placed

And as Craig says (bored yet :D) what the client wants takes priority when you're being paid

5 mins PP is still too long though, such as this for me would be a simple action with the variable being levels only - sharpening, contrast, colour etc. would all be set as part of the action. That way you could process hundreds at an event with virtually no time input from you

DD

That's interesting to know, I'm going to have a look at what you've suggested. If I struggle, mind if I drop you a PM?

I didn't think I'd easily be able to do it with levels given how light his suit was, I was scared of blowing highlights.

Dave I meant the foot on the floor lol. The edge looks good but if you high kick without the other foot flat you quite often end up on your rump

Dave I meant the foot on the floor lol. The edge looks good but if you high kick without the other foot flat you quite often end up on your rump

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Yup - I can see & agree with that now

I must admit to having kicked hard enough to fall over too many times

:D

DD

On the first post - put up the image as shot so we can see where the PP was needed, if it was 'lots' then it's most likely that it's the lighting that's wrong

DD

I know the lighting isn't right and those lines still need painting over yet (silicone filled but using mucky finger to smooth :D) this shoot was more of a test of the studio and equipment but we got more out of it than expected. I'm mounting the BG lights properly this week so I can use the whole of the back wall, we were forced into using the left corner as the BG light was in the right corner.

Here is the original of one of them.

IMG_8095-2.jpg

They will normally be better than that, I just need to get the studio sorted, but would something like this (with less pronounced lines) be suitable for an automatic action in PS?

Back