My first try with Long Exposures

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I took some pictures this evening at about 5PM of the A1 near Durham.

Shutter speed was beween 15 and 30 seconds at various apertures,

These were 2 of my best:

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

I was particularly pleased with number 2 when a police car went past :D

Please let me know what you think!

No bad at all for a first attempt, It took me hours to get blues and twos for the first time so congratulations on getting a exposure with them in on your first attempt.

Could you post the settings for these photos posted.

Personally I would have shot from either the centre of the road way or from the opposite side as the oncoming white lights are always a lot brighter than the red tails lights.

Matt
MWHCVT

I like #2 as well.

May be better if you did this closer to dusk to get a bit of detail into the surroundings.

Could you post the settings for these photos posted.

Personally I would have shot from either the centre of the road way or from the opposite side as the oncoming white lights are always a lot brighter than the red tails lights.

Matt
MWHCVT

Thanks, I tried in the centre of the carriageway and didn't like the composition, shooting from the left lane is a great idea though!

No1- 44mm, 15s f/16 ISO 100
No2- 55mm, 25s f/22 ISO 100

Both taken through Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

I like #2 as well.

May be better if you did this closer to dusk to get a bit of detail into the surroundings.

Thanks, I'll try that next time! :)

Thanks, I tried in the centre of the carriageway and didn't like the composition, shooting from the left lane is a great idea though!

No1- 44mm, 15s f/16 ISO 100
No2- 55mm, 25s f/22 ISO 100

Both taken through Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

Thanks, I'll try that next time! :)

Those are good settings for this type of shot some will claim that f/22 is too high of an f stop but personally I disagree and have achieved some really great results at f/22

I have found that the magic number is a exposure in the region of 60-90 seconds because that makes for a smoother light trail.

Matt
MWHCVT

Those are good settings for this type of shot some will claim that f/22 is too high of an f stop but personally I disagree and have achieved some really great results at f/22

I have found that the magic number is a exposure in the region of 60-90 seconds because that makes for a smoother light trail.

Matt
MWHCVT

f/22 worked fine for me at that speed.

I would have liked to try a longer exposure, but I was using a 2sec shutter delay to reduce any shake as I don't have a remote trigger, obviously I couldn't do this in bulb mode and 30s is the 1000D's maximum timed exposure which is a shame :)

f/22 worked fine for me at that speed.

I would have liked to try a longer exposure, but I was using a 2sec shutter delay to reduce any shake as I don't have a remote trigger, obviously I couldn't do this in bulb mode and 30s is the 1000D's maximum timed exposure which is a shame :)

I understand your frustration, I would suggest getting a remote they can be had really cheaply now, I think mine was under £15 and I would not be without it.

Matt
MWHCVT

haha I don't take much persuading, im going to pick one up tomorrow :D

I look forward to seeing more light trails from you however I make a lot more use of my trigger than just long exposures, I use it all the time when on the tripod, its is one of my suggested bits of kit in my light trails guide

Matt
MWHCVT

Back