My first with a DSLR.. dont laugh please

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I've had my first DSLR for less than 3 days and I thought I would just take a picture from my back yard of something.. so I did.. I’m here to learn and would really like some advice.. this was full auto. I have bought a beginners guide, and hopefully will get allot of advice from some of the guys at work.. but if you can give advice on how to improve such a basic shot to make it stand out I would appreciate it.. good or bad I will take notice of all.

House_1.jpg

Last edited:
You can get advice on here about a great deal and there are experts in all aspects of photography who have certainly helped me over the past 18 months. Unfortunately a random shot, using auto, in your yard doesn't really give anyone a place to start!

1) My advice would be to search previous posts in relation to composition first of all.

2) Then learn about what the different modes actually do on your camera ie Aperture priority lets you change the aperture whilst the camera works out the speed and Shutter priority lets you set the speed whilst the camera works out the aperture. AND WHY YOU WOULD USE THEM

3) Also learn about the other controls such as ISO setting, white balance etc...

4) Practice using your new knowledge whilst posting your pictures so we can comment.

This might be useful to you CLICK HERE

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums. I bought mine 3 months ago and i already have a business and a lovely website, this is alot to do with the great advice from the people here. Id say go and take a picture of what your interested in and go from there!

Thanks that is exactly the advice I needed cowasaki :) I now have a starting point .. wow what an awesome site .. fantastic idea

Last edited:
Thanks that is exacly the advice I needed cowasaki :) I now have a starting point .. wow what an awsome site .. fantastic idea

It is also worth reading through the forums and looking at comments and ideas from other people and HOW they produced certain pictures.

Do you have any software to manipulate your images? It's going to make a difference to your images. The software won't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse, but it will allow you to extract the best from your finest images. As you gain confidence, you will move away from full Auto and your images will be better for it. Keep taking images and posting them here and most of the people will try and help you improve.

Back