ryan
Edit My Images
Yes
his is my first dslr and very new to all this,my first portrait
and please give me some c&c.

kirsty.jpg

thanks

ryan.

Good on you for getting that shot at 1/2 sec exposure...was your camera on a tripod or ARE YOU a tripod?:D

Would be good if you could do the portrait in portrait orientation though especially if you are that close...

Last edited:
Which camera did you get? well done on the first shot

Last edited by a moderator:
Good on you for getting that shot at 1/2 sec exposure

I suspect the flash going off would have made the exposure!

Pretty maid! Exposure is good.

I would use a larger aperture next time to allow some of the BG to go more out of focus. I would also pose the model a little further from the background.

It may be worth putting a piece of white tissue paper in front of your flash to (if on camera) diffuse the burst of light and make it less harsh. I would also turn the camera 90 degrees into portrait mode which will cut out the wasted space on either side of the model.

Just a few tips to get started with, good lock!

Last edited:
Nice first shot, have you thought about using portrait format rather than landscape, then your GFs shoulder would have been it shot, as it is it needs more room at the bottom, and shes to close to the BG

Last edited:
Quick way to better portraits is to move the subject away from the background so you lose the shadows as much as possible.

Flash fired so in reality its more like 1/200 sec exposure but still a good effort

for a first time a big thumbs up.
all points made above are valid. You have a beautiful Girlfriend and i dont think you have captured her in her best in this photo. Try and get her relaxed and smiling. I tend not to shoot from below as found you get the multiple chins on some people, the eyes have to point down wards and you get to the top eye lids closing somewhat.

no go and re shoot it and we will be happy to give pointers along the way.

Back