My iMac just died - will I be able to transfer my Lightroom licence from old to new ?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
A weekend of woes - my flash died yesterday and my iMac went today. I use lightroom currently - will I be able to reinstall on the new iMac or will my woes continue? I tend to use it for whatever minor processing and lens correction. I'm not keen on PS as it is a significant overkill for my needs and I hate the idea of a continuing subscription - if Lightroom likely also an issue, what recommendations to replace cheaply please?

You should be able to install LR on the replacement using the same license key, but *may* have to contact Adobe to get it transferred.

If you only do minimal editing then DXO Photolab may be a good - if somewhat different to use - option.

Thank you. I tried asking Adobe and found the banging noise was my head on the desk. Not overly helpful are they? Just as we were getting somewhere the chat session was ended. I have an older version of DXO it looks like I can upgrade so that is positive.

I see it looks like DXO has two activations. Think it would work on the new iMac and a Windows laptop? That’s help!

Nowadays you can log yourself out of all computers from another one so that those you re-sign in on are the ones you can work on.

So after picking and paying, went to Cambridge to collect the new one this afternoon. I have no idea why I had to wait three hours in store to collect the paid for machine but I did.
The good news is that migration assistant picked up my time capsule perfectly and all was migrated over. Lightroom needed to be reactivated but that also seemed seem less. Less good news for the 32bit version of Office for Mac I was running. Looks like pages and numbers are going to be my friend for the next little while.
Still planning on an upgraded DXO - Lightroom seems rarely a joy so that you for that advice.

Glad to hear you got it sorted. FWIW I find Office 365 an affordable way of using Office. Even the Mac version is pretty good (and IMO far better for actual work than Pages/Numbers - just less pretty :( )

Single user / 5 devices works out at £5 a month if you pay annually.

Glad to hear you got it sorted. FWIW I find Office 365 an affordable way of using Office. Even the Mac version is pretty good (and IMO far better for actual work than Pages/Numbers - just less pretty :( )

Single user / 5 devices works out at £5 a month if you pay annually.

Thank you for this. Actually I bit the bullet and purchased Office for Mac 2019. A perpetual license rather than the monthly drip - with a reduced income I'd rather take a one off hit rather than monthly payments.

So after picking and paying, went to Cambridge to collect the new one this afternoon. I have no idea why I had to wait three hours in store to collect the paid for machine but I did.
The good news is that migration assistant picked up my time capsule perfectly and all was migrated over. Lightroom needed to be reactivated but that also seemed seem less. Less good news for the 32bit version of Office for Mac I was running. Looks like pages and numbers are going to be my friend for the next little while.
Still planning on an upgraded DXO - Lightroom seems rarely a joy so that you for that advice.
I find Open Office to be quite tolerable (for the little I use such applications as these now I'm retired).

Back