MY LENS NEEDS A RE-POLISH

Name
Geoff
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a 1950's camera with an Adotar lens which needs a good clean and polish.
Does anyone know of a good, reliable Optical Company who could undertake this work?
Advice and comments will be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Geoff.

do you mean just the lens external glass surfaces, or a full tear-apart all elements clean, or are we looking at the lens hardware as well?

You may have been better asking this in Film and Conventional tbh... Ooohh - as if by magic, it's moved ;)

Last edited:
Wirebrush & Dettol Ltd will do an excellent job, they are in Gloucestershire.

Note: To anyone who is actually stupid enough to believe me then please don't. It's a joke. If you are wondering why I'm having to explain myself then look here: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=262015&highlight=dettol

I remembered that thread, which is pretty much why i asked for the original question to be moved to F&C to avoid it getting hijacked by people used to modern glass that only needs a rub over with a lens-cloth. I had a sneaking suspicion that the OP's lens would need a bit more intensive care than a "spit-shine" - being 50+ years old and all... Sadly, I didn'y have anyone up my sleeve that I could directly recommend, but knowing the normal denizen's of Film and Conventional manage to get stuff far older than this working well, I thought that the question be better placed here.

Anyway, at the risk of being a miserable old git... now we've had a laugh about Wire Brushes and Dettol (I'm not about to miss a Billy C. reference, now am I :)) can we see if we can answer the OP's question ? :shrug:

Incidentally, welcome aboard HYPO - with a nickname like that, you'll fit right in with F&C :LOL:

I have a 1950's camera with an Adotar lens which needs a good clean and polish.
Does anyone know of a good, reliable Optical Company who could undertake this work?
Advice and comments will be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Geoff.

Some of the older lenses are easy to take apart, so why not have a go yourself.....a clean room, Isopropyl alcohol, lighter fluid and a blower could be all you need, of course you would need screw drivers etc as well but they are always handy.

I had a fungus riddled Pentax lens cleaned by a guy called Eddie Houston in Glasgow, cost £35 + post and came back perfect. I can PM you his email address if you like.

He's quite good on the guitar too I believe :)

Last edited:
Anyway, at the risk of being a miserable old git... now we've had a laugh about Wire Brushes and Dettol (I'm not about to miss a Billy C. reference, now am I :)) can we see if we can answer the OP's question ? :shrug:

Ya miserable old git! ;)

On a serious note, I think the joke has run its course now.

Back