My new Extension Tubes

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Took delivery of my new tubes this week, courtesy of razor777.
Never really dabbled with anything small, close and macro before but as they're new (to me at least) I felt obliged to have a play. The original "test" shots were static objects, such as keys, my watch and the contents of the ash tray. I was quite pleased with these for a first effort.

Then, earlier in the week I came across a fairly large spider, which I thought I'd have a go at. I didn't realise quite how hard it is to get anything in focus. I initially attached the tubes to my 70-300 Tamron but could n't dee a bleddy thing. A quick rummage in the bag pulled out the nifty fifty, which was then duly 'tubed'. The depth of field is way too shallow for these, and in my defence, the web was blowing in the wind, Mr Spider was a little camera shy and I never had a tripod. For a "second" attempt I wasn't overly upset, and realise that there's more to be had from this.
4005661779_5471454b82_o.jpg

Today, in the office, a fly decided to take a swim in my coffee. I fished it out after an hour or so and left it on my desk to dry out a bit. Unfortunately, as it dried it revived and started moving about so I had to be quick. Shutter speed was very low on this one, it was hand-held and the fly was moving. At f 6.3 I thought the DOF would be a bit broader but still way too shallow. Excuse the red thing the fly was standing on, it was opportunistic rather than posed.

4010731779_3b5c078ff9_o.jpg

From these experiments I know that I need more light so I can up the aperture, and keep the shutter speed such that I can still hand hold. I wish I'd brought the flash to work today so I could have tried a few different shots. Would appreciate any other tips you guys may have, and wondered whether I might have got better results if I'd attached the tubes to the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 instead of the nifty.

With extension tubes you need to think about at least f11, but f16 would be better. That's why you need good light, a tripod and/or a flash. :)

Just beginning to realise that so this afternoon I've been trying to come up with a cunning plan to create something to attach the flash to the end of the lens - Perhaps a velcro strap or something.

Definitely need to try it on the 17-50 as well methinks. I'll be stopping at Tesco for a tin of raid on the way home !

Just beginning to realise that so this afternoon I've been trying to come up with a cunning plan to create something to attach the flash to the end of the lens - Perhaps a velcro strap or something.

Definitely need to try it on the 17-50 as well methinks. I'll be stopping at Tesco for a tin of raid on the way home !

At the top of this section there is a "show us your macro rig" thread with lots of pictures of peoples DIY attaching of flashes to things with velcro and gaffa tape etc - could be good for some inspiration.

Back