My new G9!

Mx3

Name
Michelle&Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
I just got my new Canon G9. However I want to get a really good flash & not to sure what to get. I will be using this camera to take all kinds of pic's no limitations on what subject matter.. Any Idea's?????:thinking:

580EX mk11.......hehe.....probably a bit overkill....but if you want a really good flash.....
or a 430EX is good too

would the 220ex be any good for the g9 as in an improvement over the onboard one? I don't really want a big flash like the 430 sitting on top!

I dont know but i'd imagine so...

I was looking at the 430EX & 580EX. Do you know of any aftermarket ones... (Sunpak) ???

Thanks Jonnypb
I am going with the 220ex.
Now all I have to do is get my 4gb card so I take shots. The card it came with is super small (five pic's only)

So generous, aren't they :LOL:

I'd go along with most on here about the 220EX, but it depends whether you have a (Canon) DSLR as well. In which case, I'd personally go for a 430 or 580EX and then use it on the G9.

Cheers, Mark

The 220EX may improve your flash power and, by distancing the flash head a little further from the camera, reduce red eye, but you will still end up with hard, in your face, direct lighting. It would really be much more versatile to get a flash with a tilt/swivel head, so that you have options to bounce the light off ceilings/walls/bounce card to soften the lighting and reduce/eliminate shadows.

At least with the 220EX you would have the option of using the flash off-camera, either with wireless triggers or a corded connection, so it certainly increases your creative options if you go that way. You could even position the head exactly as required for macro work etc.. But really a tilt/swivel head would be the best choice of all, if you don't mind paying the £££s.

aftermarket swivel ?? what would you guys get I have looked at sunpack and other no names.... ??? Just not to sure on what would be better....????

I've used my 580 EX on the G9, but it looks and feels ridiculously top heavy. Having said that, the G9 utilises the auto features of the 580 EX really well, but the size of the thing somewhat defeats the object of having a pocketable camera.

I'd go for something small and compact and with a swivel/bounce head, but good luck in finding it!

Well I got my Wide & Tele Lenses last night! I am a newbee. So please be nice.... I had a black ring around the pic, When I zoom in the the ring goes away..(I Know) But is that what they are supposed too DO?

I need to go to G9 School LOL! My last camera was not this advanced!

I want to thank all of you for your tidbits, your advice is helping me.

It's a fairly normal situation with these add on lenses which you get for some compacts. You do get vignetting at certain focal lengths - sometimes just with the lens hood fitted, and sometimes even without. It used to be the same with the add on lenses for the Nikon Coolpix cameras.

Ah nice to see someone else with a G9!
great camera's...

cya Hannah

The G6 I have is still a good camera, the G7 was a big mistake without raw which is why raw reappeared in the G9.

G8:thinking:.

The G6 I have is still a good camera, the G7 was a big mistake without raw which is why raw reappeared in the G9.

G8:thinking:.

Yes when I was in Devon a few weeks ago with my brother doing some photography, a bloke on the station platform commented once on the train to me saying the G9's very good.. he had one in his bag!!!
and once in Exeter, we were photographing some steps and this bloke said to us: "is that a G7 or G9?" we were G9.. bloke said I have a G7 and its RUBBISH!

Yeah why was there a leap from G7 to G9.. what happened to a G8?..

Yeah why was there a leap from G7 to G9.. what happened to a G8?..

Canon organised a meeting to discuss what should be present in the future model (the G8), however about 10,000 pro nikon supporters from all corners of the world descended upon the meeting and caused HAVOC. Cars set on fire, running riots with police, etc etc. Very scary!!! The G8 was missed and the G9 quietly pushed out the back door!!

Here's a scene I captured from it:

:nikon: :nikon: :nikon: :nikon: :nikon: :nikon: :nikon: :nikon: :nikon: :nikon:

Bunch of crazies, look at them!!!

You could alway pop a diffuser on the 220ex or make one yourself for next to nothing.

Back