Beginner My newbie film adventure

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
During lockdown I completely lost my photographic mojo. Then, quite by chance, I found out that my father in law was a keen photographer many years ago and used to enter competitions and develop his own mono film etc. He has given me his 33 year old Praktica BX20 and some out of date colour film. The first roll (18 years OOD) has been shot and I will send it off to the developers this coming week.

Hopefully, this thread will be a narrative of my new adventures in film...

Attachments

• 45C131B8-DDC9-466A-B533-063A595B560D.JPG
    45C131B8-DDC9-466A-B533-063A595B560D.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 341A14FB-A43B-40DF-A290-8CCC482D5C44.JPG
    341A14FB-A43B-40DF-A290-8CCC482D5C44.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 30
Mate, I'm super excited for you. Discovering film is absolute magic. Make sure you post your results.

Great stuff!

One thing. Expired film can give less than stellar results so don't be disheartened if it's not a great result to begin with.

Brilliant mate, and the BX20. Cracking camera, was my first proper camera.

Why not hope over and join our Zine swap.
[emoji3526]

One thing. Expired film can give less than stellar results so don't be disheartened if it's not a great result to begin with.

I'm just getting back into film photography and have some film, mainly Jessops, left over from my film days around 20 years ago!

From what I've read, if the film hasn't been kept in a fridge/deep freeze, you should overexpose by 1 stop for every 10 years, ie for 20 year old 200 ISO film shoot it as if it was 50 ISO.

From my limited experience (4 rolls of 20 year old expired film) a roll of Kodak Gold 200 ISO metered at 100 ISO gave good results (colours a bit muted) and the first roll of Jessops SHR 200, also metered at 100 ISO was reasonable too bit not as good as the Kodak. Using the above rule they both should have been shot at 50 ISO but dull wintery days in Scotland don't give much light, hence my decision to modify the rule!

The next roll of Jessops 200 I did shoot at 50 ISO but the results were very poor, images weren't sharp and colours were bad - apart from the first 3 shots when I hadn't realised that although the camera (Olympus OM2) was set to auto, the shutter was set to B and therefore remained open as long as I held it down (I thought the shutter sounded odd on the first shot but it took another 2 shots before I realised why!), so they should have been overexposed but they actually looked pretty good. I therefore decided to shoot the next roll of Jessops 200 at 25 ISO when we next got a brightish Saturday or Sunday, which was this morning. I developed it this afternoon and the negatives certainly look better but the acid test will be once the film has dried and I can scan the negatives and see the colours and sharpness.

I've still got more rolls of old film so experiments continue!

Mate, I'm super excited for you. Discovering film is absolute magic. Make sure you post your results.
I am too. I intend to update this thread as I get some results.

Great stuff!
Thanks for the heads up. If I get anything, I'll be happy.

Brilliant mate, and the BX20. Cracking camera, was my first proper camera.
Why not hope over and join our Zine swap.
[emoji3526]
Thanks.

I'm just getting back into film photography and have some film, mainly Jessops, left over from my film days around 20 years ago!

From what I've read, if the film hasn't been kept in a fridge/deep freeze, you should overexpose by 1 stop for every 10 years, ie for 20 year old 200 ISO film shoot it as if it was 50 ISO.

From my limited experience (4 rolls of 20 year old expired film) a roll of Kodak Gold 200 ISO metered at 100 ISO gave good results (colours a bit muted) and the first roll of Jessops SHR 200, also metered at 100 ISO was reasonable too bit not as good as the Kodak. Using the above rule they both should have been shot at 50 ISO but dull wintery days in Scotland don't give much light, hence my decision to modify the rule!

The next roll of Jessops 200 I did shoot at 50 ISO but the results were very poor, images weren't sharp and colours were bad - apart from the first 3 shots when I hadn't realised that although the camera (Olympus OM2) was set to auto, the shutter was set to B and therefore remained open as long as I held it down (I thought the shutter sounded odd on the first shot but it took another 2 shots before I realised why!), so they should have been overexposed but they actually looked pretty good. I therefore decided to shoot the next roll of Jessops 200 at 25 ISO when we next got a brightish Saturday or Sunday, which was this morning. I developed it this afternoon and the negatives certainly look better but the acid test will be once the film has dried and I can scan the negatives and see the colours and sharpness.

I've still got more rolls of old film so experiments continue!
Thanks for the detailed reply. All bar the first few photos have been pushed a stop to hopefully counter the age of the film. I have some new Ilford HP5+ coming that I hope to develop myself. I hope to keep this thread updated with how my little film adventure turns out.

Back