Beginner My Nikon keeps going wrong

Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey, I bought a Nikon d3200 last week and I have gone to use it a couple of times and when I have taken a picture, it is almost completely black apart from a small strip across the top. So I initially put it into auto, thinking that I was doing something wrong, but I got the same thing.

My next thought was, maybe something was broken, so decided to put it into live view to see if that was working and it was. I took a picture too, no problems. I put it back into view finder and it worked fine.

After that I forgot about it, as it seemed to be okay, but I have just gone to use it and its done the same again. Its worrying me that it is a problem that will get worse, and eventually render the camera useless.

Has anyone seen this before?

15s8ysp.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the mirror is getting stuck. Take the lens off and shoot a few frames whilst looking iside and see if you can see whats happening. The mirror should flip right to the top and back down again.

However there is also some very heavy vignetting on that image, which doesn't coincide with the mirror issue. What lens were you using for that photo?

Just taken it off and its working okay now. The mirror is flipping up and down fine, just seems to be when I haven't used it for 24hrs or so. I am using the 18-55mm kit lens.

It could be that the mirror is flipping but not correctly in sync with the shutter :(

"Live View" keeps the mirror out of the way all the time LV is activated.

Return to the supplier would be my advice.

I have a D3200 that i bought a year ago and have taken over 10k photos with it and i have never had a problem anything like that so i would assume that the fault would be with the mirror which has already been mentioned. If you cant send it back to the USA then try and find a small camera shop somewhere and get them to have a quick look at it, it might be a simple solution, you never know.

Might be worth trying another lens on it.may be a lens problem, ie. aperture lever sticking.

Curious it does it in auto mode too - would indicate to me that it's not a metering fault or similar but as mentioned more likely a mechanical fault ie mirror or shutter mechanism. It's the top of the picture that's exposed so that would coincide with the bottom of the mirror coming up and maybe sticking partially open and then returning. I would have thought it would throw up some kind of error code though when it happens.

Curious it does it in auto mode too - would indicate to me that it's not a metering fault or similar but as mentioned more likely a mechanical fault ie mirror or shutter mechanism. It's the top of the picture that's exposed so that would coincide with the bottom of the mirror coming up and maybe sticking partially open and then returning. I would have thought it would throw up some kind of error code though when it happens.

Yeah it does it in auto too.

Its very sporadic, but fingers crossed as it hasn't done it the last few days. So will keep an eye on it

Back