My 'other' HDR formula...

Edit My Images
Yes
Firstly I'd like to say that I donn't like RAW as I find it too long winded and complicated......

..... anyhoo, while shooting and depending on the subject, I'll quite often take several pictures using different metering options (hedging my bets if you will), I discovered, by chance, that if you merge some of them in the same way as 'traditional' HDRs, some interesting results can be obtained.... here's some examples...
this
20090221_90.jpg

+ this
20090221_91.jpg

gave me this
HDR10-1.jpg

just like this
20090315_245.jpg

+ this
20090315_246.jpg

gave me this
HDR27.jpg

I do realise that this may be nothing new to people familiar with HDRs, but I thought it may be worth sharing with new-comers to the technique..... :)

:clap:
Nice work mate.
This is why I like HDR so much. It's pulls out so much detail, and like your shots, they don't have to look over done and false.

If you think about it, it's not really doing much different. In both those shots he's taken, rather than bracketing himself, he's just done (what I would assume is) spot metering and evaluative metering and then combined the two shots, ridding of the shots that contain more detail in the shadows, highlights and midtones independantly.

Not much is really different at all, and the processing is no different either.

All the metering is doing is exposing it for longer/shorter depending on what the camera thinks is correct. The same result can be achieved by using your head and bracketing.

Not to condemn this method at all. For a newcomer it might be easier to interpret. However through experimentation the same result can be achieved if you understand the processing and the theory behind the tone-mapping technique.

:clap:
Nice work mate.
This is why I like HDR so much. It's pulls out so much detail, and like your shots, they don't have to look over done and false.

Thanks that was and is the intention..

So are you saying you just use, two exposures and merge in photomatix, rather than 3 or more?

Yes and no. In these instances just two 'exposures' were used, but obtained using different metering patterns..

Agreed. A more detailed explanation would be nice. The shots look authentic and not screamingly fake like many HDR shots do.

I did think my initial explanation was errrr self explanatory....the intention was to create a look that was not 'screamingly fake' but to improve detail... :)

Indeed, please explain what you do differently. 'Traditional' HDR can be done using jpgs, though the results can be 'noisier' than if done from processed raw files, but I am not sure if that is what you mean? :shrug:

Traditional, meaning bracketing (usually three or more), ie. standard, +1 and -1 combined... I've never tried using RAW files to be honest, but I have been led to believe that this in actual fact leads to greater noise.... (I cann't comment on that, but the source was amateur photographer magazine I think it was)

If you think about it, it's not really doing much different. In both those shots he's taken, rather than bracketing himself, he's just done (what I would assume is) spot metering and evaluative metering and then combined the two shots, ridding of the shots that contain more detail in the shadows, highlights and midtones independantly.

Not much is really different at all, and the processing is no different either.

All the metering is doing is exposing it for longer/shorter depending on what the camera thinks is correct. The same result can be achieved by using your head and bracketing.

Not to condemn this method at all. For a newcomer it might be easier to interpret. However through experimentation the same result can be achieved if you understand the processing and the theory behind the tone-mapping technique.

Spot on, thats exactly how it was achieved.... the aim of this was to show newcomers to the technique a different method to achieving a more natural looking result.... flattering though your last paragraph was, I thought that maybe not everyone "understood the processing and the theory behind the tone mapping technique" and might be interested in trying and experimenting with different methods, rather than be put off as the results they achieved looked 'unnatural' first time around....I stumbled across it by chance, so simply thought I'd share it, that is all :(

Eh?. Metering patterns will just result in differing shutter and aperture settings (different exposures), ergo it's exactly the same as HDR bracketing.

*confused*

Eh?. Metering patterns will just result in differing shutter and aperture settings (different exposures), ergo it's exactly the same as HDR bracketing.

*confused*

:agree:

if its in shutter priority then it will mess with dof doing this which wont help

i use 3 exposures using the bracket method and i dont get 'fake' hdr's because i am not heavy handed with the tone mapping settings, just dont wack everything up to the max

A newcomer might find it easier if you told them how you did it rather just saying merging, tonemapping etc. Not all the users here are experienced. Wayne

A newcomer might find it easier if you told them how you did it rather just saying merging, tonemapping etc. Not all the users here are experienced. Wayne

the original posters title to this thread 'My 'other' HDR formula...' implies it is a 'new' way, he even put other in ''

*confused*

Nope disagree- the more common use is (as mentioned within this thread, and not by me!) three exposures, at least, here I've used two (obtained differently and not using AEB)...

:agree:

if its in shutter priority then it will mess with dof doing this which wont help

i use 3 exposures using the bracket method and i dont get 'fake' hdr's because i am not heavy handed with the tone mapping settings, just dont wack everything up to the max

I probably should've said that I only work in AP.... sorry :eek:

the original posters title to this thread 'My 'other' HDR formula...' implies it is a 'new' way, he even put other in ''

Where did I say 'new'? I'm almost certainly sure that I said 'other'...thus not implying 'new'...hmmmm :thinking:

also, I did work on the assumption that people, other than myself, may set up a shot and take several pictures using different metering patterns to select the best result.... the thought of using differing modes and combining them (ie a SP spot reading and an AP centre weighted metred reading and combining them offers up a whole new world of possibilities that needs investigating.... :thinking: many thanks for the suggestion cannockwolf (y) I shall mosey on over to Featherstone Sun afternoon and explore this in more detail :D

Back