My printer is lying!

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got a Canon Pixma MP470 (dont judge me!) and I had the 1st set of ink cartidges for quite a few months, just using it for printing uni work.

Eventually it said the cartidges were low, but I kept printing till it could barely make a mark as I really didnt want to buy more ink.

So eventually I think I want to print some photos, so I take the cartidges down to the shop, get some refills and glossy paper, put the cartridges in, and it says "ink low" :thinking:

So I try and print a photo anyway, A4, high settings etc, comes out pretty nice, a little darker than expected, but none the less fine. I print about 5 photos with it still complaining of low ink, then yesterday I come to print another and it says the ink is empty!

Now I know I should have probably thought "hold on" when I put the new cartridges in and it still complained of low ink, but being it printed so well I figured its just the norm (me and printers have a abusive history) but now its refusing to print atall.

I'm planning to head down to the shop and ask, but I figure it will end up involving me carrying it down to the shop, so I thought I'd see if anyone else on here has any 'quick fixes' or a way to neutralise the ink sensor :bat:

Thanks in advance

Tom

(Sorry, I got abit carried away here, but I hope that the full history may give an insight to the problem)

Modern ink cartridges have a chip on them that tells the printer how much ink has been used. Your cartridge is still telling the printer that it has printed X number of pictures so it is no longer printing. You can buy refillable cartridges and fill them yourself, this is far easier than the CISS setup. But the ink cartridge refilling shop should have known this.

Sorry it looks like I missed out a fact, I handed over my empty ones and get some different ones back. Would this still cause this problem?

Most importantly, is there any way round this?

Try turning the printer off for a little while, maybe even at the wall - I use a CISS set up which in the instructions says that once turned back on, the chip is reset and the recalculates how much ink is left.

Of course your not using a CISS set up bit maybe the principle is the same?

Regards, James

I've seen a similar problem with Epson printers and refillable carts. It's usually down to a bad chip. With Epson I believe the the Black cart has a different chip to the other colours and if this is bad all show bad.

Whilst I would always use manufacturers carts for important work. ( I've never had success with 3rd party ones to be honest, for quality work ) for simple letter and text they can be fine. I tend to purchase non exchange units as they can be cheap enough. Try Tesco for a good deal on 3rd parts carts or one of the internet companies. I've had carts from 7 day shop which may not be up to Epson standard are fine for text and similar printouts

Given it a go, still lying to me though. Gave the inside a gentle wipe where the cartridge seems to attach to electronically too, still aint happy.

<3 printers <3

Buy proper Canon replacement cartridges and all should be well.

It may be the only way out. Together they will cost £53 from that shop though...

The printer was like £70 :bang:

Look on ebay for refillable cartridges for your printer and get the ink too. I refill the cartridges or use a CISS on all my printers: Sansung CLP500 colour laser, HP 6280c, Epson R300 and Epson R2400. The CISS for the R2400 with a supply of ink costs £300 BUT it is worth it!!

Tesco sometimes have Canon ones cheaper.

£300?? =|

I think I would be buying a different printer instead.

I will go back to the printer shop monday and see what he says, he didn't mention anything about the printer rejecting the cartidges I paid for.

I found that my Canon MP210 (only cost £15) didn't like Tesco own brand cartridges, It claimed they were empty from brand new :D

£300?? =|

I think I would be buying a different printer instead.

I will go back to the printer shop monday and see what he says, he didn't mention anything about the printer rejecting the cartidges I paid for.

Thing is it produces pictures as good as you can get from the developers with the flexibility to print at whatever size you like up to A3+ without having to wait.

This is very true, but I really dont have the money, I wouldn't say I print many photos, just every now and then I take a good one and its nice to see it on paper.

But now I cant even print out my assignments... :thinking:

Thanks for your help anyway guys, I will hopefully come to a conclusion (good or bad) on monday.

Back