My rents

Edit My Images
Yes
A couple of my parents:

IMGP0592.jpg

IMGP0119.jpg

C&C please,

anything that may help me improve is really useful.

Thanx

1st one - shutter speed way too slow - not many people can get a sharp shot at 1/10. Hence its blurred. Try a wider aperture to get a faster shutter speed.

2nd one is not bad - its nicely posed and the lights add interest. Noisy, but that's what you get in the dark with high ISO

As above, first one is far to blurry, try faster shutter, wider apature or even using a flash..

Second one is better, a bit too much going on in the background, would have been better to get your dad to pose under one of the lights to make him stand out a bit more..

They look a little too "snap shot" to me..

(y)

Just snapshots for me too, sorry. I echo the shutter speed as well, first one is way too blurry

Yup the shutter speed there is too low for a sharp shot but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss shots like this one. Photography is supposed to be an expressive art form and the camera is so much more than a tool for faithfully documenting what we see in front if us.

Now I don't know if the shot was supposed to come out like that but I suspect it wasn't as and such the shutter comments have to be made....

but lets stop and just consider that shot for a moment. We're stood up, we're on a beach and were all wrapped up in coat, scarf and hat..... We're out for a walk in middle of winter, blasting away the cobwebs and enjoying the majesty of the sea. At least that's what I'm taking from the shot. The expression on mums face is one of good natured tolerance. While not really wanting her photo taken she's willing to let this one pass as it's one of her brood.

The movement in the shot is evocative of being by the sea in the wintertime and helps to convey the feel of the wind and spray of the sea.

Not a bad haul of feeling and info passed over in less than a second of viewing a blurry snapshot eh? ;)

I agree with all the above comments, however one of Mobilevirgins comments poses me a problem how did they know that the first picture was taken at 1/10? was it a guess? or is there some way to can find out the data about posted pictures? If so how?

I agree with all the above comments, however one of Mobilevirgins comments poses me a problem how did they know that the first picture was taken at 1/10? was it a guess? or is there some way to can find out the data about posted pictures? If so how?

You can download some software which will read the EXIF values from the original capture - I can't remember the name of the one I used for Firefox but I'm sure someone will post a link

Thank you dazzajl. Obviously i know that the shot is blurred. it was too low a light to get a crips shot so i just used the settings i had whilst my mum was smiling. I happened to like the outcome even though hardly any of it is not blured.

But thanks for your comments all the same. I prefer people not to pose for pics, i just snap away. Think you get much more natural outcomes, real people.

You can download some software which will read the EXIF values from the original capture - I can't remember the name of the one I used for Firefox but I'm sure someone will post a link

I'd be interested in this, be useful to find out what i used for each of my pics.

Yup the shutter speed there is too low for a sharp shot but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss shots like this one. Photography is supposed to be an expressive art form and the camera is so much more than a tool for faithfully documenting what we see in front if us.

Now I don't know if the shot was supposed to come out like that but I suspect it wasn't as and such the shutter comments have to be made....

but lets stop and just consider that shot for a moment. We're stood up, we're on a beach and were all wrapped up in coat, scarf and hat..... We're out for a walk in middle of winter, blasting away the cobwebs and enjoying the majesty of the sea. At least that's what I'm taking from the shot. The expression on mums face is one of good natured tolerance. While not really wanting her photo taken she's willing to let this one pass as it's one of her brood.

The movement in the shot is evocative of being by the sea in the wintertime and helps to convey the feel of the wind and spray of the sea.

Not a bad haul of feeling and info passed over in less than a second of viewing a blurry snapshot eh? ;)

I agree totally with this. A "snapshot" should never be dismissed due to a technical nature. Often these type of shots capture more than a constructed and thought out shot ever could. There have been many artists who have used the concept of the snapshot to document aspects of family life. Take Richard Billingham's "Ray's a Laugh" or Nick Waplington's "Living Room" for example. Both of these documentary projects have been slated for the artist's technical ability with a camera but both projects are very powerful pieces of art. Check them out if you can!:rules:

Back