Beginner My SD card isn't working???

Name
Vicky
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Nikon D5500 camera and and whenever I take a few shots (one after the other) I get a notification saying that my memory card is damaged. This never happened with my other memory card (which was faster, but it locked itself and wouldn't unlock so I had to switch to the other one) so I was wondering if it's because the card is too slow and over heats or if it's an error from the camera.
Whenever the card says it's damaged, I can't do anything on the camera, so I take it out and upload the photos to my laptop and format the card.
I'm ordering a new memory card soon but I just wanted to know why this keeps happening, seeing as it has happened around 5-10 times.

You say your are uploading the photos to your laptop and then formatting the card.
Are you doing the format via the camera menu or in the laptop? It works better if you format in camera, in fact in some cases if you format in other than the camera the card does not work.
Sounds like the SD card is corrupt, they are cheap enough (http://www.cclonline.com/category/725/Storage/Memory-Cards/SD-Memory-Cards/) so just buy a few more

your one that locked itself, did the lock break on it or is it something else. If it's just the slider that broke, there are videos on Youtube on how to get around it :)

Back