My Son....Built in flash

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I decided to play around with my camera's built in flash today to see what results I could get with it, and here's the result after many a failed attempt:

IMG_2924.jpg

Michael.

Sorry mate, the lighting is way too harsh as a result of using the popup flash at 27mm focal length that close to him. You need to diffuse that for it to have any chance.
Also, you've completely overworked the eyes, making him look a little evil...

Stick some tissue over the flash, take the shot a little further back, and you may have more success.

aye, i'd be reluctant to use the built in flash for anything other than fill and even then i'd feel dirty doing it.

also can't help but feel the black and white is being used as a means to save a picture that didn't come out too well?

Hi,

Thanks for your replies, my post was to emphasize just how rubbish the pop up flash is compared to a dedicated external unit(like the 580EX) and this photo was one of the "better" one's- I use that term loosely!! Hence the term failed attempts.

I know that using a pop up flash in almost any given light will almost certainly result in harsh, shadowed images as the flash in direct and not bounced or diffused-hence the results here. Not sure on what you mean by overworked on the eyes, there has been no post image editing done here-the AF point was set at eye level and taken at that level. The photo was already set in a custom monochrome setting on the camera, I nearly always forget to change it back(I seem to remember everything else though!!) :)

Michael.

what about flash on manual at less power it dont look to bad:shrug:

straight from the camera no editing

DSC0792.jpg

Last edited:
As said pop-up for fill only. It's just way too harsh there. I'd invest in a flashgun, also you can bounce a flashgun and/or use off camera to achieve far better results.

Sorry.

Edit:
LOL, just read your post #4

Last edited:
Not sure on what you mean by overworked on the eyes, there has been no post image editing done here-the AF point was set at eye level and taken at that level.

Ah.... Apologies, your son doesn't look evil..... honest :exit:

Must be a result of the flash :muted:

Agree whats already been said, only use on board flash for fill in. Your image has made him look quite ghostlike, and I am sure that wasnt your intention :)

Back