My time with a Mamiya..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit My Images
No
Photos removed, No longer wish to share photos on this forum.

Last edited:
well - thats a diverse set.

1 - not keen tbh. central positioning of the subject just looks a little "plonk-ey" Tree growing out of her head, and the levels are out on all the architectural bits.

2 - Better - much more considered, though I can't help thinking that a little fill light (even a reflector) on the bowl to lhs of frame would have lifted things - especially considering it's on Velvia, and given that it's a pig to scan, you sort of need to manage the dynamic range you're trying to capture a little...

3 - nice car, decent enough building in the background, but the other cars in the background tend to leave the shot more of a "record shot" than anything more artistic.

4 - could have been an interesting shot but IMO frankly ruined by poor choice of film.

5 - an interesting "environmental portrait" though it's a shame that the guy working on the bike is a bit far away from frame, leaving a huge mass of boring grey floor-paint/concrete as a lead in. A good location though, with lots of potential for some interesting re-shoots.

6 - interesting subject, good use of restricted DOF to accent certain sections, marred mainly by the over-bright area over the dash. Otherwise not too bad at all.

Thanks for the feedback. Some I kind of want to respond to if thats cool:)
With number 1, that wasn't a planned shot at all, merely a quick candid and was actually my first time using the camera and my first roll of film through it. I didn't own a light meter at this point either so there was a lot of messing around playing with an iphone lightmeter app going back to the camera to set aperture and shutter speed then back to double check before wasting a frame.haha. But I still like coming back to this photo due it being my first roll through the camera and not really knowing what to expect. Also my first ever roll of medium format! So good memories for me.
With number 4 and the 'poor choice of film' comment. I tend to like to try anything, and having always been intrueged by redscale I was browsing through a lomo shop in birmingham and saw a pack so had to give it a go! Got to be willing to try any film I think, why restrict to any particular type? Perhaps thats just me..

But thanks for taking the time to look and write about the photos. I appreciate the comments. I'm in no sense of the word a 'photographer' I just like to click the shutter and try new things, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But you won't know without trying and it certainly is fun trying with the Mamiya in your hands.

Last edited:
well - sadly, as the OP had :dummy: I think this thread has run it's course. Frankly It's hard enough to encourage people to give critique around here, without the OPs throwing their toys out of the pram whenever they don't like what they hear. This is one of a number of threads that this member has sabotaged, and frankly I think that this behaviour is completely unacceptable.

mind the doors people

Someone has reported Marks post as too negative.

1st - the OP removed his photos after not having smoke blown up his ass
2nd - the OP removed ALL his photos from several threads
3rd - the OP has completed 2 trades in classifieds. Nothing left to sell so clearing off?

sadly, people like that are too common, they cant take constructive criticism and have strop. why should our members give good crit then get crapped on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back