My turn! Wire Wool Spinning.

Ian D J

Michael Fish
Name
Ian D J
Edit My Images
Yes
Yeeeees, I know, I know, yet another collection of wire wool spinning photos. But hey, after seeing how it's done in here and not wanting to feel left out, I finally got around to scratching that itch last week.
I did it at a beach (the East Cliff Sands) only around the corner from my house. I also tried out a couple of other light photoraphy using a home-made "light stick".
Bear in mind all this was my very first attempt and my sister and nephew did all the spinning while I was behind the lens . . . and it was fun. :D

On a final note, I say good on those who have had a go at it themselves. Keep 'em coming in. (y) :clap:

1) Below: Under the promenade.

Beach%2BLight%2BShow%2B8.jpg

2) On the beach itself. We thought we'd try and break away from the straightforward spinning and tried to do that orb thing. My sister stood behind with her blue light stick at the same time.

Beach%2BLight%2BShow%2B3.jpg

3) Here was where my nephew flailed all over the place wth the "torch" to create that chaotic effect . . .

Beach%2BLight%2BShow%2B4.jpg

Once the wire wool were all used up, we got to work with our "light sticks".

4) Back under the promenade archway.

Beach%2BLight%2BShow%2B2.jpg

5) Angel Of The Light. Or something out of Tron Legacy?

Beach%2BLight%2BShow%2B5.jpg

6) "One to beam up, Scotty!".

Beach%2BLight%2BShow%2B1.jpg

Nice ideas - love the angel :D

:D Cheers! Actually we had written up a list of what we can do with our "light stick" but didn't follow it on the night, we just made things up as we went along! :bonk:

Cheers Michael (don't I know you from somewhere? :D :LOL: ;) ) and Kev. Like I said, had a lot of fun doing those, even though it isn't exactly original thinking on my part.
Looking forward to seeing what else you have up your sleeves, Kev. :)

wow !

very good shots, the first two are my faves

do you just set fire to the wool ????

please enlighten me regarding set up

looking forward to more of these if this is the results for a first time

wow !

very good shots, the first two are my faves

do you just set fire to the wool ????

please enlighten me regarding set up

looking forward to more of these if this is the results for a first time

Like the opening comment!

I had followed a tutorial video on YouTube to see how it could be done safely, and it turned out that you need a small metal egg whisk, stuff the wool wire inside it (the cheap stuff from a hard ware shop would do it), tie a cord to the end of the egg whisk and light it up (the video showed you need one of those fire alarm type battery and brush the contacts on the wire to create a short circuit but I used a fag lighter and it worked) - and spin away. Easier when you have someone daft - I mean - brave enough to do the spinning while you remain behind the safety of the camera.

Like the opening comment!

I had followed a tutorial video on YouTube to see how it could be done safely, and it turned out that you need a small metal egg whisk, stuff the wool wire inside it (the cheap stuff from a hard ware shop would do it), tie a cord to the end of the egg whisk and light it up (the video showed you need one of those fire alarm type battery and brush the contacts on the wire to create a short circuit but I used a fag lighter and it worked) - and spin away. Easier when you have someone daft - I mean - brave enough to do the spinning while you remain behind the safety of the camera.

cheers mate, I'm gonna have to give this a go :)

Theres lots I like about this...........

Firstly.. getting others to spin..... molten iron burns I am told..... TheDodo and I nearly set fire to MWHCVT at Chesterton Windmill..... using minors to do it, I don't see a problem with, preferable to chimney sweeping...

Like them all lots - particularly the first wire wool, the angel and the screw.

(y)

Theres lots I like about this...........

Firstly.. getting others to spin..... molten iron burns I am told..... TheDodo and I nearly set fire to MWHCVT at Chesterton Windmill..... using minors to do it, I don't see a problem with, preferable to chimney sweeping...

Like them all lots - particularly the first wire wool, the angel and the screw.

(y)

Considering this is a tried and tested theme, I am loving the comments in here!

I'm pleased with the way they came out for a first attempt. Although what did help was that I was familiar with the camera settings to make this work (using an attached remote control for the "bulb" setting, keeping the ISO at 200 to keep the "noise" grain down, aperture at between F9 to F11. The real issue was trying to make sure everything were in focus as its very hard to get the focus right in the dark - usually keeping a lit torch at the point where the wool spinning was to take place helps as it is something for the camera to focus on)

:D I did say to my nephew that it would be a good idea to do it at the beach so if he did catch alight, he could make a dash for the sea. :D Actually, wearing all black clothing, with a hood, is recommended as then the person doesn't show up in the dark.

Considering this is a tried and tested theme, I am loving the comments in here!

I'm pleased with the way they came out for a first attempt. Although what did help was that I was familiar with the camera settings to make this work (using an attached remote control for the "bulb" setting, keeping the ISO at 200 to keep the "noise" grain down, aperture at between F9 to F11. The real issue was trying to make sure everything were in focus as its very hard to get the focus right in the dark - usually keeping a lit torch at the point where the wool spinning was to take place helps as it is something for the camera to focus on)

:D I did say to my nephew that it would be a good idea to do it at the beach so if he did catch alight, he could make a dash for the sea. :D Actually, wearing all black clothing, with a hood, is recommended as then the person doesn't show up in the dark.

indeed - the "silver fern" (allblacks) look works in this instance...

When we did it at the windmill there was enough ambient still when setting up to focus from about 15m onto the windmill, knowing therefore at f8 or so... the desired DOF would be achieved.. so set up under ambient (or a torch will do the same) and once AF locked on, switch to M focus....

I have a wireless remote which is also (if needs be) programmable for star trails etc so used that esp when doing the "nuke the windmill with flash" shot for combining later...

I would always recommend the torch (so can find crap thats fallen out of the bag.... I have learnt to buy lots of cheap carabiners to hook things onto ) and also the torch will give enough light to AF.

Last edited:
indeed - the "silver fern" (allblacks) look works in this instance...

When we did it at the windmill there was enough ambient still when setting up to focus from about 15m onto the windmill, knowing therefore at f8 or so... the desired DOF would be achieved.. so set up under ambient (or a torch will do the same) and once AF locked on, switch to M focus....

I have a wireless remote which is also (if needs be) programmable for star trails etc so used that esp when doing the "nuke the windmill with flash" shot for combining later...

I would always recommend the torch (so can find crap thats fallen out of the bag.... I have learnt to buy lots of cheap carabiners to hook things onto ) and also the torch will give enough light to AF.

(y) This is it, what made it diificult for me was that I did it all in total darkness, away from street lighting and the little LED torch wasn't really bright enough to provide that "reference" point.
Mind you, what is peculiar about the D3100 is that it hasn't got an infrared or wireless sensor for cordless remote control, instead it has a small USB type slot to plug in an optional wired remote so I still have to stay close to the camera to take the shot. Still, it does the job nicely so I'm not too fussed. :D

Back