my week's low flying photography

Name
charlie robinson
Edit My Images
No
Well, where to start... monday at a guess.

I travelled from Cheltenham to stay with a friend in Welshpool with the intention of spending the week in the 'Loop'

Monday saw us on Cad west, with around 50m visibilty, and no hope of the fog lifting. Blank no 1

4297632055_34a9e66142_o.jpg

Tuesday:

Much better weather and we positioned ourselves on cad east.
It was blowing a gale up there, but i was delighted to see something turn out of the bwlch and head straight for us!!

4297628649_441492e66e_o.jpg

4298373572_21802abf10_o.jpg

4298373956_37cca3696e_o.jpg

4298374454_0fe9e080d9_o.jpg

Jim who was with me told me Shiny two is not often seen low level, so a good catch, especially for my 1st ever low level shot! maybe the luck is shifting to be with me? :roll:

Wednesday:

Blankety blank.
Yep, strong winds and snow greeted us on the bottom ledge of the Bwlch. 2 blanks in 3 days!

pt 2 below

Thursday:

Crap light all day
damm my 40d, it'll have to do for the time being

4298375454_00b03407eb_o.jpg

4297630449_82245b7a82_o.jpg

both noisy, not that sharp, but that's the best i got. It's a tricky place to shoot from, no warning and the jet in the frame for 6-8seconds only!!

Friday:

Clagged in fog most of the morning, it kept trying to lift, then another wave came in, wave after wave, hopes growing, drowning, growing... you get the drift!

4298375986_a624d7bdb3_o.jpg

According to the scanner and the noise we heard up above we should have had an awesome day. Saw the Typhoon approaching the Bwlch, shouted, then watched it pull up before coming round the corner!!

Had 3 relatively high hawks, not all misery as the snowy peaks gave a pleasing background, but still.... to get home and see burner shots on the typhoon through Cad was gutting, really sickening!! 4 passes and not once passed the exit!!

Here's some more hawks-

4297630963_1ab4563517_o.jpg

*is there a 'notverylowfly.net'?

4297631605_3496684e92_o.jpg

That's my week, glad to see some, still gutted about the typhoon to be honest.

Met some great people, shared some great stories, walked some mammoth hills, and got a couple of shots to boot! I'll be abck again, that's for sure, the bug is well and truly installed!!

Sorry to bore with my mini novel!

C+C and tips to improve the images welcome and greatly appreciated.

Regards
Charlie

Certainly better than anything I've got ;o)

Now I'm unemployed perhaps I ought to head up there for a week or two!

No tips from me Charlie but great effort for your first time, apart from those dodgy looking characters in the first shot;). Numbers 2 and three are the ones that stand out for me.

Cheers
Ian

Nice set of photo. Whats best for photo cad west or east ? Hope to go im the summer

Nice shots and a very interesting write up , thanks for the insight and i will be visiting the loop myself this year..thanks for sharing your cad week.

A very interesting write up. Its something Id like to try when i get a better/ faster lens

On Thursday, about 15 seconds after the T2 shot was taken, there was a Typhoon that flew about 1/4 of the loop from the Dovey Estuary, past Machynthlyth and then low level aborted. looked pretty impressive from my vantage point.

'*is there a 'notverylowfly.net'?'

................. ?

Cheesy

Nice set there c_robinson Pity about the weather.

On Thursday, about 15 seconds after the T2 shot was taken, there was a Typhoon that flew about 1/4 of the loop from the Dovey Estuary, past Machynthlyth and then low level aborted. looked pretty impressive from my vantage point.

'*is there a 'notverylowfly.net'?'
:naughty:
................. ?

Cheesy

Does that mean he caught you in action ?? :naughty:

Thanks for the detailed account of your week - good images :clap:

Great images.

What sort of focal lengths (i.e. lenses) do you need for East/West?

all plane shots were shot at 300mm on a crop body, image 6 was 420mm crop from corris. you'll be fine of east and west with 300mm.

Cheesy, that's tongue in cheek big time, we were all stunned just to see it come through the exit in the fog, especially after the typhoon bailed on friday just before the bwlch.

was that you in the t2 on thursday? hell of a show mate! :)

bet it's nice to be able to go for a 'play' whilst delivering!!

bet it's nice to be able to go for a 'play' whilst delivering!!

All work actually. We have to look at quite a bit during the delivery profile. The low level element lets us look at the navigation system, the GPWS, route timing, weapon delivery modes and the aircraft's low level performance. Going around the loop on Thursday specifically gave me a view on the GPWS and coincidentally the TCAS which got my eyes onto the Typhoon just south of the loop.

Cheesy

always good to learn something new, didn't realise there was such a routine for a delivery!

Thanks for the pass on thursday, an awesome sight to see the new T2

Back