n1kcy’s 52 for 2023 - Weeks 52 Favourite Image of 2023 (cc always welcome)

Very effective and creative!
Thank you, not my idea though, it's been done 1000 times before.

Nice bright colours, lighting gives the shape of the glass nicely.
Thanks, I duplicated the layer in photoshop and set it to Multiple (I think) to make the colours stronger, and did paint out a few distracting reflections.

Yep - very well done Nicky!
Ta
Love that.
Thank you
Very good, just like Leebert, such a coincidence. I wrote this on his thread too :):)
I know, we posted within 30 minutes of each other so were probably taking the photos at pretty much the exact same time, lol..... great minds.

Plenty of incomplete hotels in Lanzarote, some of them are massive.

Artificial Fruit, nice and colourful.

Transparent, cool trick.

Pete

Plenty of incomplete hotels in Lanzarote, some of them are massive.

Artificial Fruit, nice and colourful.

Transparent, cool trick.

Pete
We couldn't believe how many unfinished hotels there were, I guess it's another effect of covid?

That works really well... a very striking image.
Thanks Helen.

Week 5 Snappers Choice. Tonight's sunset as viewed from my garden.
20230205-FXT49590.jpg

lovely colours, similar here last night and hopefully same tonight so our afternoon walk with the dogs will be a little later than usual today.

Beautiful Nicky. Great colours, lovely and smooth with a bit of detail in the clouds.

Grounded by the black foreground with the pylons giving scale and interest.

Really like the colours. Such a beautiful picture!
Thanks, I thought it makes a change to see blue + pink in a sunset.
lovely colours, similar here last night and hopefully same tonight so our afternoon walk with the dogs will be a little later than usual today.
We ended up with sunsets like this 3 nights in a row.
Beautiful Nicky. Great colours, lovely and smooth with a bit of detail in the clouds.

Grounded by the black foreground with the pylons giving scale and interest.
Thanks, I'm often cursing those damn power lines for ruining my shots, but I agere it gives a bit of detail here.
That's beautiful Nicky.
Thanks
Stunning colour.. what an amazing sky!
Thank you

Fits the theme for sure, personally I prefer the first pic of the oven? knob- probably because its shiny :) and the DOF and focus.
Chosen shot, for me, would be really good without the shadows

Yes, I agree with Nog, first picture is preferable. TBH, your submission piece doesn't do it for me as the slanted shadow just makes me think the photographer just didn't get themselves out of the light.

Last edited:
Fits the theme for sure, personally I prefer the first pic of the oven? knob- probably because its shiny :) and the DOF and focus.
Chosen shot, for me, would be really good without the shadows
That's really funny as I spent about 10-15 minutes playing around with the light to cast the shadows where I wanted them. :exit:

Yes, I agree with Nog, first picture is preferable. TBH, your submission piece doesn't do it for me as the slanted shadow just makes me think the photographer just didn't get themselves out of the light.
I just thought the first shot was a bit obvious and I thought some other people had already done it. The choosen one for me is all about the odd shadows but hey that's what makes photography so interesting, we all like different things. Thanks for the comment. :)

Nice set Nicky. Another vote for the first one which is really nicely done.

A striking image (y)

Nicely done. Great colour, but it's the little details... The slightly soft light giving the slightly blurred edges to the shadow, the 'planks' of the base, the texture in the wall background.

Lots to like there!

Like it. Tell us about it :)

That’s very nicely done.
Thank you.

A striking image (y)
Thank you. It came out better than I was expecting.

Very nice colours and shadow works well, your shadows are getting appreciated this week (y) :)
lol, yes. I do like a good shadow :)
Looks simple but takes some doing to make it effective like this, good picture
Thank you, there were a few previous attempts it's true!

Nicely done. Great colour, but it's the little details... The slightly soft light giving the slightly blurred edges to the shadow, the 'planks' of the base, the texture in the wall background.

Lots to like there!
Thank you, the wall details a bonus, but the planks were choosen.

Like it. Tell us about it :)
It's pretty straight forward, simple plain wooden letter (think they are £1 each in The Range), put on a kids stool, put on a table for extra working height.
Pushed the table up tight against the wall as we know the closer the wall is to the subject the stronger the shadows will be. Then lit with single Rotolight Neo 3 (my first rotolight and arrived this week), on max power then moved as far away as possible to make a stronger shadow. The Neo 3 is a continuous led light with millions of colours built in. The wall is a dark blue in real life.
Shot on Fuji XT4 with 70-300 lens @ 70mm.
ISO 400, f4.5 1/100.
Had a few goes with different angles and backgrounds, but this produced the best shadow.

It's pretty straight forward, simple plain wooden letter (think they are £1 each in The Range), put on a kids stool, put on a table for extra working height.
Pushed the table up tight against the wall as we know the closer the wall is to the subject the stronger the shadows will be. Then lit with single Rotolight Neo 3 (my first rotolight and arrived this week), on max power then moved as far away as possible to make a stronger shadow. The Neo 3 is a continuous led light with millions of colours built in. The wall is a dark blue in real life.
Shot on Fuji XT4 with 70-300 lens @ 70mm.
ISO 400, f4.5 1/100.
Had a few goes with different angles and backgrounds, but this produced the best shadow.
Thanks for the excellent narrative :)

It's a great image.

Love the bold colours.
Thanks, I feel the colour is what sells the image

Great colour and lovely shadows. Nice one.
Thanks

That is very nice and the description of how it was creaded is very welcomed.
lol, glad to hear that. I'll start putting descriptions in more :)

Beautiful composition and colours Nicky. Well done.
Thank you

Very nice image Nicky. Love the choice of colours and the light.
Thank you

Great colour and lighting.
A very good idea.
Thank you

Back