Narrow octabox suggestions?

moomike

TPer Emeritus
Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I currently use a pretty big octabox and also a deep octa too - problem I'm having is that my studio doesn't have a huge amount of ceiling height, so that limits any overhead lighting I can do with those modifiers - I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a thinner octabox (ie. one with less depth) so as I could get it closer to the ceiling and get everyhing a little more overhead - I've resorted to using a beauty dish and diffusing the hell out of it for now, but it's obviously not an ideal solution. due to how small and harsh the lighting is.

Thanks in advance,

Mike (y)

So you want to use a strip softbox horizontally? Makes sense when ceiling height is limited.

This one is excellent, the folding mechanism includes what is in effect a deflector, this bounces the light back and distributes it very well, which is important for the evenness of the light.

So you want to use a strip softbox horizontally? Makes sense when ceiling height is limited.
I think he's actually looking for a particularly shallow octa.

You could get a front firing octa where the strobe fires into it from the front... it's basically a bounce brolly with diffusion and will allow you to place it a bit tighter to the ceiling.

This one is excellent, the folding mechanism includes what is in effect a deflector, this bounces the light back and distributes it very well, which is important for the evenness of the light.

Cheers Gary, I have acouple of stripboxes - I think I am looking for something a bit more akin to what Steven mentioned, but really appreciate the reply mate (y)

I think he's actually looking for a particularly shallow octa.

You could get a front firing octa where the strobe fires into it from the front... it's basically a bounce brolly with diffusion and will allow you to place it a bit tighter to the ceiling.

You absolute legend Steven, you have just reminded me of an old "halo" modifier that I own that does exactly that - I had completely forgotten about it until just now & if memory serves, that should be perfect for what I need - I just hope it's how I remember it (& that I can find it) (y)

The elinchrom octa 100 is pretty shallow. I don't know if your deep octa is Elinchrom or not but if it is then they have a front mount for it that would allow you to get it closer to the ceiling.

Indirect mount.

Regards...

Turn the problem upside down to buy some space.

An Octabox needs the space for the light above, but this uses a light below.

I have three of those They have a few significant practical advantages, cheap as chips, and are also half a stop brighter than my much more expensive double-diffuser softboxes. Use them pretty much all the time for portraits, but not for product photography where clean/smooth specular reflections are important.

The elinchrom octa 100 is pretty shallow. I don't know if your deep octa is Elinchrom or not but if it is then they have a front mount for it that would allow you to get it closer to the ceiling.

Indirect mount.

Regards...

i have the 135cn? And find it to be shallow and a great light source

mike

Back