natural light or flash

Name
SAM MOLYNEUX
Edit My Images
Yes
hi there can you help.
Im haveing real problem with my photo's. i go to alot of car show's and find that in overcast condition's it is really hard to take photo's because it seems to make the bonnets and roof's of the car's have a reallly bright reflection can any body explaint to me what i can do to stop this.
i have a sb-800 witch i have been trying to use but i cant work out how to set it up properly i see alot of other people useing external flashes and seem to get good result's
cheers
sam

sorry about the spelling and grammer

A circular polarizer will help to reduce the reflection and glare on metalwork, might be worth experimenting with one.

If it is dull and you polarise the sheet metal - you will need a tripod because the polariser will soak up about 3 or 4 stops. It is the way to prevent those burned out bonnets though - you will also remove much of the glare from the windscreen and side window, in different amounts. You can also use your flash in conjunction with the polariser - you will get some great results then.

Good thing about car shows is that you rarely need to crop much in PP, so get a nice Circular polariser, and use a higher ISO to 'soak up' the 2 stops that the CP will take. Works a charm.

Back