Natural smiles

Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the group and while I'm not actually a photographer (though I do dabble) I have a question for all you portrait photographers out there.

I am art directing a photo shoot next week, which will comprise of several portrait shots of people and various group shots of them (ranging from pairs to groups of 6).

These people need to be relaxed and smiling and I am aware that posed smiles never look good in photos. To that end I'd like to know what you guys do to elicit 'genuine' or at least 'convincing' smiles from your sitters.

The photographer may have his own techniques but I want to cover all bases and ensure that I am able to help if needed...just in case he 'doesn't' have any ideas.

These people are just normal members of the public and not professional models.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

I think I have read on here before that getting people to blow raspberries is a good way to relax facials muscles and generally relax and smile naturally. :p

Thanks, Rob.

Much appreciated advice. The shoot was yesterday and it went well, I thought. We used a few tricks, including giving the models numbers and then 'round-robbing' them by calling random numbers. Tose models would then run to the mark and hug, which would normally create naturals smiles and laughs.

Back