ND/CPL Filter Test

Edit My Images
Yes
Lots of filter threads recently so I decided to show you how the filters I own work. Most of you will know this but I wish someone posted something like this when I was learning!

Here's a (over-exposed) image of my back garden taken with my 10-20mm (no filters):
68e3514e.jpg

Hoya CPL added (now correctly (ish) exposed):
1f257075.jpg

Hoya NX8 added (now under-exposed):
7027a2d2.jpg

Another Hoya NX8 added (now stupidly-under-exposed):
d259d664.jpg

...and now the settings adjusted so I can shoot with a 8 second shutter to get results like this:
920c45be.jpg

Obviously you can see the filters around the edges but that's shooting at 10mm. Once you zoom in a little it's fine. You can obviously remove the CPL filter which will reduce a lot.

The other way to not see the filter round the edge of the photo is to buy a lee filter holder, and 105mm adaptor ring and a 105mm cpl. Not cheap but I only get a small amount of vignetting at 10mm and that is with the lee filter holder with the 3 filter holders in place as well as the cpl on the front.

Good demo pics Kryptix :)

Why do people complain about uneven polarising of skies when using ultra-wide lenses? Your second pic shows some uneven darkening, but does it matter? And that's at 10mm.

Also note how the shine has gone off the shed with the polariser.

What filter mounts are they? Slimline or regular chunky? I wonder if I can get two slimline filters on my Canon 10-22mm without vignetting.

I can get down to 12mm before vignetting wiht 100mm filters

What filter mounts are they? Slimline or regular chunky? I wonder if I can get two slimline filters on my Canon 10-22mm without vignetting.
Just normal Hoya -- not sure. I can get two on at 12mm without vignetting.

That's only when I need ND8 + ND8. Most of the time a single ND8 will do. :)

I'm shooting cityscapes and getting completely washed-out pictures time and again, even when not shooting in bright daylight. Is a CPL or an ND grad the answer?

I have never looked into filters, thanks to the first two pics in this thread, I think I may have found an improvement to the pics of grey aircraft I take

Has anyone bought filters from 7dayshop?, these tests have got me interested in getting one but how bad are the quality of cheap ones

Has anyone bought filters from 7dayshop?, these tests have got me interested in getting one but how bad are the quality of cheap ones
Get the 'budget' Hoya range. I use them with all my L glass and notice no difference when they're removed.

Get the 'budget' Hoya range. I use them with all my L glass and notice no difference when they're removed.

If you're still in testing mode, try shooting car headlights, straight on, in darkness. You'll see a difference then ;)

If you're still in testing mode, try shooting car headlights, straight on, in darkness. You'll see a difference then ;)
But I don't shoot car headlights in the dark very often...

But I don't shoot car headlights in the dark very often...

Not many people do. But it will show you what damage a filter is capable of doing, and it's happening to all your images, all the time, to a greater or lesser extent.

Not usually a problem of course, but whenever you have bright lights in a scene, it very often is. It's flare, and it happens with the 'budget' filters you are recommending more than premium multi-coated ones.

Well, whenever I am doing night photography I normally have my tripod with me so I can take my time. I always un-screw the filter to compare the images and there's very little difference. The glare moves slightly, and maybe there is a tiny bit more but if I posted a photo no-one would be able to tell if I was using a filter or not so it doesn't bother me really.

There's a slight difference but most of my photography is motorsport or daylight stuff which (in my experience) doesn't change what-so-ever when using Hoya filters.

Just done a series of 'tests' with and without my Hoya UV filter and cannot see any difference what-so-ever on my 24-105L. I dare say it'll look different when shooting lights at night but I'll just remove it if it does. So far it hasn't.

Back