ND Filter Test

Name
Matt Thomas
Edit My Images
No
Bought some ND grad filters a while ago, don't know why but I just did, and have never used them until now. Defo going to be using them a lot for doing landscapes I think. Just adds that little something to the sky :D

3074243873_bdc501a8d5.jpg

Flickr Link

3075078780_d494dc1c62.jpg

Flickr Link

Feedback if you could guys

I think they're a must if you're going to do landscapes

Some nice effects you got there..well done(y)

Darryl

nice pics!!(y)

can i ask what is nd?:shrug::bonk:

Neutral Density graduated filter

ND grad filters, as it name suggest, is graduated, ie one side is dark and the other clear. the place where the two meet is the line of transition. this line can be hard (clear distinct transition) or soft (no clear line, the filter gradually darkens over a range). When you use a ND grad, you are trying to control the contrast. unless you compose with your line of contrast smack in the centre of the frame all the time, a screw in nd grad filter isn't very useful at all as the line of transition is normally in the middle of the filter. Slot in filters on the other hand, allows you to position that line where ever you like, and you can compose better.

Happy to help!

Darryl

Neutral Density graduated filter

ND grad filters, as it name suggest, is graduated, ie one side is dark and the other clear. the place where the two meet is the line of transition. this line can be hard (clear distinct transition) or soft (no clear line, the filter gradually darkens over a range). When you use a ND grad, you are trying to control the contrast. unless you compose with your line of contrast smack in the centre of the frame all the time, a screw in nd grad filter isn't very useful at all as the line of transition is normally in the middle of the filter. Slot in filters on the other hand, allows you to position that line where ever you like, and you can compose better.

Happy to help!

Darryl

niceone (y)

As commented on the flick... the richness of colour in these is amazing! I know nothing about film and MF, but am I right in thinking that this is the preferred format and medium for landscape work? I can see why!

Also experimenting with the same make and type of grads, these are excellent.

Back