Beginner ND grad filters, opinions please.

Edit My Images
Yes
I’m a beginner photographer., & just trying to put some equipment together. I bought a Lee foundation kit on eBay for some grad filters at a reasonable price, But didn’t think I could justify the cost of the 100mm Lee grad filters.
So after some shopping around I have purchased a couple of Hitech 100x125 at a little more than half the price of the Lee’s. So far I have a .9 Hard edge, & .6 soft edge, I haven’t used them yet but they seem ok when I look through them.
I would just like to ask what is your opinion of these filters compared to Lee.?
& what others I might need? I go to Dorset quite a lot so mainly seascapes of the Jurassic coast, but also landscapes of the area aswell.
I am now wondering about the usefulness of the hard edge compared to soft.?
Cheers. Marc. [emoji3]

HE will be more beneficial at the coast with a flat horizon. I get by with 0.6 of each.

I'm not sure on the 100 Hitech filters but I found the 85mm gave a me a magenta cast with a long exposure. Kood are better in that regard IMO.

They aren't as good as Lee. No Hitech filters are actually all that good, the glass ones whilst neutral in colour cast are so flare and ghost prone they are virtually unusable and the resin ones like you have are full of colour casts. They'll do to practice with, but if you want to do any serious work it's worth spending on the Lee ones.

They aren't as good as Lee. No Hitech filters are actually all that good, the glass ones whilst neutral in colour cast are so flare and ghost prone they are virtually unusable and the resin ones like you have are full of colour casts. They'll do to practice with, but if you want to do any serious work it's worth spending on the Lee ones.

Really? I tried a couple of Lee filters and bought Hitec instead.
Certainly the older Hitech ND filters had some quite spectacular colour casts but this not the case with my current 6 stopper. As to my Firecrest CPL? Simply the best CPL I have yet tried.

Back