Beginner ND Grad or ND filter, which order?

I doubt that it matters. In theory, you might get a tiny percentage point less flare from scattered light by putting the ND filter furthest from the lens, but I doubt that it would record as a difference. My reasoning is that as it's a percentage of the incoming light that gets converted to flare if you put the filter that stops most light first, that reduces the amount available to be scattered later on.

I tend to put the ND filter closest to the lens if using that and a grad. If stacking NDs, I put the strongest one closest to the lens. I think I might have read something a long time back about doing it this way, especially when stacking NDs - but I don't know where or have a link unfortunately. Hopefully someone else might be able to explain the theory behind it?

I suppose it might depend on the strength of the ND filter. I sometime use a Lee Big Stopper (10 stop), along with a soft grad and I put the 10 stop closest to the lens. My thinking is that I might get some light leakage if I put them the other way round.

I suppose it might depend on the strength of the ND filter. I sometime use a Lee Big Stopper (10 stop), along with a soft grad and I put the 10 stop closest to the lens. My thinking is that I might get some light leakage if I put them the other way round.

Lee, say you should always put the big stopper ( or little stopper ) closest to the lens otherwise the gasket won't work.

Not sure if it matters much on normal ND filters.

Last edited:
The ND must go closest to the lens - that's the only way to ensure no light leaks, either behind the ND filter, or creeping in through the edges of the grad. And don't forget to cover the viewfinder eyepiece.

Back