nd grads for beginners

M

morgan

got back from my hols last week where i had some time to try my hand at landscapes (not my usual type of photography). To cut a long story short I found out that I need a set of nd grad filters to help to balance the sky/foreground difference.

My questions:

1. what are the best ones to get?

2. how much are they?

3. where can I get them?

cheers!

so is the p system the one to use? I'll be using it with a 5D and a 17-40 probably...its a bit unclear on thier site which is the best one for full frame..a or p series... it isnt too expensive either really...

yep i think p is the one. thanks for your help janice

The P series will work on the 17-40L
You'll need the 77mm adapter ring to connect the holder to the lens.
I'll be looking for this adapter myself having already got the holder but just got the 17-40.

Shock horror...Jessops didn't have one in stock. Very unusual (insert tongue in cheek here)

Hmmm...expert...hmmm

Personally I found the Cokins gave a colour cast and scratched fairly easily [user error probably] but in any event on full frame they intruded into the shot even with the P holder hacksawed into submission so they had to go. I found HiTechs were good: http://www.teamworkphoto.com/hitech.html but they were a squeeze fitting into the P holder. Some people haven't had this problem but I did. After being a good boy at work, I bought a Lee system. The jump in size and quality is marked. The cost does tickle for a bit but I find them easier to handle, especially in the cold with gloves etc.

Back